Frugal Switchable Load Gizmo™

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Frugal Switchable Load Gizmo™

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Way cheaper than hiwatt resistors, this DIY Switchable Load thingy comes mounted on a piece of luxurious unfinished scrap oak with a handy hole at one end for hanging on a nail out of the way (nail not supplied).

The switches select series or parallel between each duplex socket. By setting the switches and selecting different bulb wattages, the cost conscious geek can supply almost any resistance with plenty of power handling capability for testing amplifiers without speakers attached. For instance, a 60 watt bulb measures around 16Ω DC resistance, so 2 of them in parallel results in 8Ω with 120 W of cheap power handling ability.

It does have a few drawbacks. The resistance of the bulbs increases with temperature, so you want to measure the output current from time to time, or preferable continually. But if you don't test amps any more often than I do, it's a reasonable compromise.

Also handy for testing rechargeable batteries to see if they live up to their amp-hour claims, which is why I originally made it.
Plink Floyd

Re: Frugal Switchable Load Gizmo™

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:36 am

Very slick, Plink! I might just have to make something like that myself!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:27 am

do we need to resurrect the DIY forum? Lol
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:59 am

I dunno. Why'd we dismantle it, I forget?

No use getting organized now, though...
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:22 am

Cause at the time we were at a minimal posting level. Clav suggested just having an on and off topic forum for now and it helped. If were swinging along here and we do have have a few DIY posts.. Just asking..:wave:
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:12 am

Don't trouble about it for me. I know at least a few of us like diy stuff, but it's obviously not the main interest of the majority, nor should it be. I dunno, maybe it should be in The Hang Out™? I do have a few more projects on deck for when the snow flies, if anyone's interested. At least it's original content, but then again so is this:

:grin:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:16 pm

well true they aren't studio or synth related DIY projects aside from the racks. Doesn't matter to me then :)
MetroSonus

Return to KSS