Mixers

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Mixers

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:50 pm

GAS is an insatiable mistress

and you guys are no help :mad:

I know I asked this before and I can't think of the answer. but if I ran a stereo in and out loop between my laptop and mixer, which would be ten fifteen feet away, would there be any potential problems?

and also, CR, you seem to have an amazing awareness of all sorts of gear goings on. I'm impressed :thu:

mainly what im thinking is that I have ability to rend and receive audio between both systems. record synth onto tape, record into Live. Send VST out to tube thingy and back into Live. .
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Well I read a lot and listen to demos so most of it is theoretical :lol:

On the Joemeek, I was listening to some guy's demos a while back and I was just totally amazed at the sound quality and how everything fit and glued together. Turned out it was some guy's basement and he had like two synths and a JoeMeek that he used on every sound. Plus ITB reverb. Then I knew this thing was killer!

Also, Good Guy Gregwar is always suggesting things to check out and I try and find out about them :thu:

Just today I spent a good amount of time talking gear with Bob on skype. Needless to say, he knows stuff.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:16 pm

Oh and run your 15 foot cable, it's no problem as long as it's a line level (+4).

Oh and the cassette tape recorders I suggested were 8-tracks. 4-tracks are much cheaper and actually higher quality (tracks don't sit as close on the tape). So if you just want to send things back and forth, a 4-track should be fine. Or even a 2-track cassete player which you can get for 5 bucks at a pawn shop... I have one (Technics I think, good stuff) that I won't sell for that reason - I can always use it at some point :)
Last edited by christianrock on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 pm

MetroSonus wrote:and also, CR, you seem to have an amazing awareness of all sorts of gear goings on. I'm impressed :thu:

Amazing, isn't he? He knows as much about gear as I know how little about it. Wait, does that make sense?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Gregwar knows more than us, we are all learning from him I think.

I pay attention to people that make sense, like Yoozer and Reptil and entrainer over at GS. And of course Bob.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:39 am

MetroSonus wrote:
and also, CR, you seem to have an amazing awareness of all sorts of gear goings on. I'm impressed :thu:
Well, I haz a suspicious. Like, have you noticed that you never see CR and boB at the same time?

iirc, PC had one of those ART dual cmprsrs, which she sold and then regretted it. I've heard good spoken of them, but Meek shall inherit the earth. Half rack stuff bugs me though, for some reason.

Rack mount beh effects always earn bad comments, but they drop a rose occasionally, like the Vintager line, and that 8 ch interface.
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:48 am

my first real mixer (other than a dj mixer) was a yamaha mg12/4 !! i loved that mixer !!

if i remember correctly it has a few quirks like you have to turn channels "on" with the yellow light up buttons and you could put balanced jacks in the inserts half way to do in-line mixing.

you can rack mount them but takes up like 12U. all the connections on mine would be at the top (in the way) and there's like these huge black panels on each side ?! if you're going to rack mount that kind of mixer do it with a 16 channel version and one with the jacks on the front like the newer mgs or a sound craft

also, the newer models have the 'one knob' compression. i was wary of those at the time not trusting the circuit because i think you can turn it all the way down but not completely bypass it.

the older mg 12/4 sounds extraordinarily clear and has some stereo inputs. i never tried the pre amps or really used the eq much. they're a great value and built like tanks.
Last edited by gregwar on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gregwar

drivel...

Postby gregwar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:04 am

if you were doing techno i'd recommend an early 90s mackie. there's a specific range of models lots of techno and acid guys were using because they were cheap as dirt and you could clip the inputs for added distortion

i read an interview a few years ago about using a mixer as a giant synthesizer. i can't find it now but it was steve roach or something with a large modular and a 40+ channel mixer. they were using it to layer and create 'organic textures' etc.

i sold my yammi when i outgrew it and went with a mackie 32.8 that article was part of my inspiration.

i did about 30 or 40 hours of drone and ambient music basically using the mixer to alter the timbres, sometimes with aux sends patched into a synths external input, 3-4 channel efx loops, etc mixed down to a 2 channel reel to reel mostly gently clipping the tape.

the 32.8 mackies are 'unclear' sounding for lack of a better description i ended up replacing it with a patchbay but they're extremely tough. i only ever blew one channel out of all the crazy experiments i did, naturally it was the jomox t-rez on an extreme bass frequency that did it.

like i said you can get input clipping by abusing the gain staging, maybe not so much on the post-90s chinese made models i haven't tried them.

i really like the idea of toft audio mixers but the prices are too high and they look like someone barfed up a bag of neon twizzlers all over them.
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:25 pm

gregwar wrote:like i said you can get input clipping by abusing the gain staging, maybe not so much on the post-90s chinese made models i haven't tried them.

Not as good sounding, IMHO, for clipping.

I think in other respects the current VLZ3 design is superior (cleaner sounding, better EQ -- the circuit design is "better"). But the build quality has gone downhill -- older Mackies were built like tanks. And the best one for doing clipping was the oldest one I had, from what I remember -- the good ol' Mackie 1202.

I've heard that the Doepfer A-119 I have can do the Mackie clipping trick pretty decently. Someday I'll try that even though I've replaced the original crappy op-amp (TL064) with a TL074. (There's not a whole lot of room for gabba TR-909 drums in ambientish stuff, that's why I haven't experimented yet. :) )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:45 pm

have you guys ever had to run wires in front of doors and stuff? the problem in my room is I have a closet and door on opposite ends of the same wall. I could utilize the space in the middle, but to do that i'd have to run wires in front of both doors.

just wondering if anyone has had to do that before. I'm not lucky enough to have a basement or something large like that with chic wood paneling and shag carpeting and flannel and a big beard everything thing like some of you guys :lol:

i guess maybe I could go into my closet and under the molding and you wouldn't see it. And maybe run the wire over the door molding?
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:52 pm

MetroSonus wrote:have you guys ever had to run wires in front of doors and stuff?

Yes, I usually do the ghetto method of running them under the carpet. :lol:

The proper way of course is to install wall plates at both ends and then fish some nice wire through the walls / into the ceiling / etc., but I'm not that good at home DIY.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Well, I haz a suspicious. Like, have you noticed that you never see CR and boB at the same time?

I tell you a secret... DX7 is best synth for whole world! So says my hot wife.

errr wut

iirc, PC had one of those ART dual cmprsrs, which she sold and then regretted it. I've heard good spoken of them, but Meek shall inherit the earth. Half rack stuff bugs me though, for some reason.

That's why you want the ART Pro stuff. It's a bit more expensive but just look at that stuff. Instant coolness.

I was just talking to Bob yesterday and he reminded me of a thread where they did a shootout of a Great River preamp and an ART preamp, and people couldn't tell which one was better. They were different sounding but each had its strong points.

A similar thread between the MR816x (12-channel) and a 5 thousand dollar Prism interface (2 channel) made me buy the MR816x which I paid 390 bucks for.

I don't know much about high end, but I knowz cheap good sounding stuffs. Like the Steinberg, ART, JoeMeek, Alesis Fusion, Apex, etc etc.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 pm

soundwave106 wrote: And the best one for doing clipping was the oldest one I had, from what I remember -- the good ol' Mackie 1202.

Was it the same 1202 that I linked on the previous page?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Was it the same 1202 that I linked on the previous page?

Nah, I'm talking about the *original* 1202.

I do have a 1402 VLZ (now with a broken channel), though. I think I did the clipping trick with that one too and it was pretty good. I no longer have a 1202.

It's possible my memory of which mixer distorts better is faulty, though. Someone with lots of Mackies should do a shoot-out of which Mackie truly does clip best. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Yea, ok. That must be the "older" version of the one I have. It looks very similar.. I was just wonder if this trick was possible on mine. I shall have to try.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:52 am

christianrock wrote:Gregwar knows more than us

thanks but all the contributors here are like an all-stars list. whether its lols, tech, gear, softies or the banal there's a concentrated expertise in this group !

the tree house delivers !!1 :jam:
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:42 am

Can we all do that thing where we all strut in slo mo? Thatd be sweet.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:25 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Can we all do that thing where we all strut in slo mo? Thatd be sweet.

I'm doin' that RITE NAO. Also, there's a big-ass explosion going on behind me. Just sayin'.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Previous

Return to KSS