Non-musical artifarts

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Non-musical artifarts

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:29 am

christianrock wrote:Plink, where do you live? It seems like there's no other humans within eyesight :thu:

Thumblestump is thirty miles NNW of Indianapolis. Or in my imagination, I can never remember...

I was a burb rat in childhood, but I always knew I liked the 'docks best. So I married teh Farmer's Daughter. I participate in farmage when time permits, but I just do it for kicks. Since I don't depend on it for a living, I enjoy it.

My nearest neighbor is maybe half a block away, but the area is definitely sparsley populated! :thu:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:53 am

deaf dunderkwac wrote:...But now I lives in a truck.

But, a truck by teh ocean might be better that a ranch haus in teh boondox, heh?

Florida

I lieks Florida, but only in the winter. The Keys are pretty kool, in a kitschey sort of way. I once crashed for a while with some freinds who lived on Key Largo. Walk out the back door 30 feet to the canal, swing the davits out, drop the boat into the water and yer 10 minutes to the ocean. Sweet!
Plink Floyd

Postby deaf dunderkwac » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 am

Plink Floyd wrote:
deaf dunderkwac wrote:...But now I lives in a truck.

But, a truck by teh ocean might be better that a ranch haus in teh boondox, heh?
beats lining in a house too

Florida

I lived in Homestead in the 70's- was fun then- not so fun in 2001
deaf dunderkwac

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:18 am

Homestead

Yeah, teh evil Andrew messed that place up. I saw teh Everglades before :love: and after :cry: .
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:49 am

deaf dunderkwac wrote:I won't add in the 8 studio control rooms because they haz muzics

You should start a thread discussing the above subject matter. This winter, I need to build a room around my pile of recording stuff in the basement.

And Googlebot is starting to show us ads for online dating sites. :freak:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:25 pm

yea I could handle the east coast.. less people, less humidity. I do enjoy the beach, various theme parks etc etc.. but the gulf coast is getting way too crowded, especially my area. with the humidity, the heat index here has been in the 102-3 range. hopefully we'll get a break soon.

I'm more of a temperate person, I enjoy cool rainy days..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby deaf dunderkwac » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:12 pm

I live where I live because of the weather that stays consistently cool all year long.
No theme parks, not many people, no jobs and the only thing to do for 'fun' locally is fish and hunt (which I do neither) but I do so enjoy the weather.

a new thread or everything I know in a nutshell without math and analysis

Control room construction can be as expensive or as cheap as one wants to spend.
You first need to srslyobjectify yur needs (in loo of wants) as in: do you need to annoy teh neighbors or vis-versa or neither. Do you need an acoustically balanced place to record your golden vocal cords? (or you don't really need this as- mic choice/techniques can overcome all sorts of difficulties) Is yer pianer playing to fucking loud?
Do you really need a place for yer personal dance parties and did anyone mention that mixing and recording at much lower levels (spl less than 80dBA @ yer ears) leads to far more consistent mixes and might allow you to keep your hearing for a long time?

My personal quest at my last home was to reduce outside noise and the things that worked the best might seem silly and involved building/rebuilding walls and openings in particular ways. (Creating not-so-apparent sound locks for fun additionally to confuse the ghosts)

There's all sorts of good information about building sound enclosures and room tratment online but the foundation to all of it is:
High Flexible Mass = good sound isolator/absorber
Mass needs to be isolated from other mass (anti-intuitive that your wall needs to be acoustically isolated from other walls, the floor and ceiling the doors, the air handling.)
A well-sealed room needs fresh air-@ a temp you like to play in (biggest headache and expense really)

for balanced playback bigger is better with the listening position away from the walls- Outside is best but finding a place with no extraneous sound = improbable
deaf dunderkwac

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:12 am

Thanks for teh learned discourse, DD! (And that sounds like my kind of weather!)

I've combed the sites where Ethan W. holds court, and several others. In a nutshell, I have a too small corner of a basement, and I want to try to exclude outside noise and absorb & eliminate reflections from the listening position. I can do double walls & ceiling & leave the concrete floor bare (maybe someday parquet). I have a big heavy metal fire door, & I won't mess with a window. I worked out the nearest golden section dimensions for a rectangle with an eight foot ceiling, but I forget what they are now (appx 12' X 15'?). I do want to record voice & accoustic instruments (except drums). So, probably a combo of 5/8"-1/2" double thick rockwalls on staggered studs and isolator clips, and lotsa OC 703 slabs. I don't think I have enough room to benefit from odd corners or wall splaying. The AC blower is far enough away that is very quiet at this end of the basement ( I put it on iso-mounts), and for heat I have hydronic tubing in the floor.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:17 am

deaf dunderkwac wrote:Do you really need a place for yer personal dance parties...

Metro? :grin:
Plink Floyd

Postby deaf dunderkwac » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:10 am

you've already done your homework I aee.
btw simple mass isolation consists of reducing connections between masses but you already knew that I suppose. Best sound iso are complete (with floor and ceiling) rooms within rooms but your internal ceiling at best would now be 7' high (workable btw with diffusion on the ceiling)

The first control room I designed had a fatal flaw- way-undersized air handling making it unpossible to close the CR door- slightly expensive after-the-fact fix. You do need to exchange the air in the room if you don't want to continuously feel sleepy after a few hours (or teh permanent sleep) Modern sealant materials makes sealing simple and (too) effective- no leaks to sound or anything else lol I usually hang 60mil vinyl between the gap of the existing wall and CR wall as it's super effective in damping the very low frequencies. In my last house I did this in the attic and one internal wall and no longer had to suffer the boom-box cars driving by @silly hour.

I would use industrial carpet as part of the 'sound treatment plan' to save a few bucks. It only takes a couple of degrees variance between walls to break up mid-high range flutter echoes (the worst type imo)

My addition on my last house with all hard surfaces including the fake wood floor (but heavily textured walls and ceiling) had no flutter echos even with the open tiled shower poking into the room (that has lots of strange angles in it.) before I added furniture
The variation from one (~20ft) wall to the next was 2.5 inches, internal width from one end to the next was about 1.5" and one end of the room had mirrored angled walk-in closets, each slightly different in size. The other end had the aforementioned shoer, an open hallway and an open tiled- toilet area (don't ask) The ceiling height varied by 2" from end to end. With all the odd angles from the shower and the closets it wasn't apparent that the room was far from 'square'
All these little tricks made for a very quiet bedroom/studio with no additional sound treatment added or required.
deaf dunderkwac

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
deaf dunderkwac wrote:Do you really need a place for yer personal dance parties...

Metro? :grin:

MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:58 am

deaf dunderkwac wrote:...your internal ceiling at best would now be 7' high...

My basement's deep. It measures 8' 9" from the floor to the ceiling decking. I planned it that way so I could have plenty of space above an 8' high drop ceiling for wiring/plumbing & such.

It's pretty quiet down there now, especially since I put some insulation in the ceiling. The walls are concrete filled styrofoam. The styro absorbs some sound, but not much bass. The biggest outside noise I'm going to have to deal with is the AC condensor which is outside of the room. You can't really hear the compressor itself, but the coolant lines in the ceiling vibrate. I routed them away from my room's ceiling, but still I don't want any noise like that. Hopefully, wrapping them in lots of insulation will silence them...

Thanx for the addl info! :thu:
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:10 am

HI! :wave:

so it looks like yer talkin about studios! :wave:

sorry, yer thread is TLDR, but from what I gatherered, y'all might be overthinking this...

I also went through the whole decision making process of building a "professional studio" inside-of-my-house, and before I started I realized an important ideal...

--If you want to record and/or perform in a "professional" studio, save yer bux and rent one out for a time.

--If you want to record and/or perform in a "studio", make one and live it and love it.

After spending hours upon hours doing calculations and measurements and trying to design the perfect studio for the space available divided by the money available, I realized a very important fact:

Your studio space does not need to be mathematically perfect, or fully isolated from the known universe. You can go very far will a shit load of insulation and carpeting. These readily available resources will not be enough to eliminate all of the undesirable sound waves in your space, but should be enough to accomplish your goals - if not then you might be SETTING YOUR STANDARDS TOO BLOODY HIGH!

I have a relatively large space for my creative outlet, and it is rather wanting in terms of a "professional studio", but I have made hundreds of wonderful recordings and dozens of professional recordings in this comfortable, affordable space:

Granted, what I did probably wont work for most people, but if you have any questions about the viability of this place I can back it up with .wav after .wav

I am a frugal mother fucker, and I gave up the pursuit of perfectionism in teh 9th grade - one of the most important day of my teh life.

Point is make a workable space, and don't fret about what you don't have - use what you do have.

...shit I broke mah soapbox, I will nao stand on teh floor with y'all...

NEXT!
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:12 am

JamsEarlBones wrote:...shit I broke mah soapboxl...

The evident quality of the JamWithTapes catalog imbues creedence to your clearwater, so I will ceartainly pay heed to your creed. :thu:

But, ah, I don't quite know how to say this, but... If you had read the thread, you'd know we were talking about making replicant Studebakers in our basements.

Well, they were, ima do hydroponic artichokes.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:15 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:...I'm gonna go find some mountain-style boondocks and just hang out in the peace and quiet...

Califormula is FULL of boonies! I've seen them. But, I suppose lots of them are uninhabitable for lack of well water, eh?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm all bummed that Clav declined to show his FrugalStudio® to me while I was out there. Tsk, tsk!

Re: Cali-style boondocks. yes, we have plenty. Unfortunately, none are located conveniently near my line of work. Even considering a daily commute from points A and B is insane.

Errrm... I have no non-musical DIY artifacts to show-and-tell today. Facepalmetto.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:48 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:I'm all bummed that Clav declined to show his FrugalStudio® to me while I was out there. Tsk, tsk!
Probably 120 miles min one way from Chili?

Cali-style boondocks. yes, we have plenty. Unfortunately, none are located conveniently near my line of work.
Well, maybe in yer rockin chair years. :thu:

Errrm... I have no non-musical DIY artifacts to show-and-tell today. Facepalmetto.
Oh noes! Now the whole zeitgeist of the thread is kerflummuxed! Gotterdammerung!
Plink Floyd

Postby deaf dunderkwac » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:58 am

i haz a mouse in my non-musical artifact- too late to buy bait for the traps
deaf dunderkwac

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:00 pm

well, i think i'm just going to get the matching bookshelf to my desk (the larger version) and just make the room a comfortable study / computer room and not do the whole entertainment system thing. Me and my wife aren't on opposite schedules anymore and i'd go to all the effort and then not use it and change my mind again later and if I can avoid the whole I told you so thing that's just a plus.

What I would like though is a wireless internet radio device thingy. I'm looking at a couple now. then i could build a small DIY tube amp and get some speakers that would sound nice..
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:43 am

MetroSonus wrote:...desk...

Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to KSS