Sweetwater GearFest

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Sweetwater GearFest

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:18 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Roger seems like a cool cat. I spoke with him for probably an hour over the phone a few years back when I was bored and fishing for a new job.

Oh yeah I remember you talking about that. He did seem like an extremely nice guy.

That controller is the absolute schnitz though, lemme tell ya. I may have pestered him a bit too much with questions about how he conflugled the FSRs so as to have x-axis vibrato on every note independently, & is it just a matrix under all those buttons or what, 'cause he finally said with a grin, "the patent takes effect pretty soon, so you can just look it up then like everyone else".

:lol:
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:34 am

Ya, if you have the right synth that allows good control, Linnstruments are indeed "the schnitz". I particularly like the controller with the Embertone samples (it doesn't work well with the pitch sliding, but you can use the "bottom row" CCs to control vibrato and bow position or whatever while you control your volume and brightness with the other finger), and certain other ones that are pretty good with their CCs (most Omnisphere patches play well with the Linnstrument right out of the box from what I remember).

Unfortunately some don't quite work so well out of the box, and teh work is now in another one of those "crunch time" times so I haven't had much time to experiment. :facepalm:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:40 pm

You have one of those, SW? That would just be ever so nice.

:jam:

Anywhey, here @ SW again, just saw Anderton speak of mastering. I'm tired of scurrying about in the heat/humidity, so I think I'll see what Jeff "Skunk" Baxter has to say about Roland, then attend the Synth Icons Panel Discussion, then probably call it a weekend.

As to 61 key controllers, yesterday I compared the Novation 61 SL Mk II to the Roldan A800 Pro. IMO the Novi keybed is a bit superior, but overall teh Rol won my approval (and my monies). I also got a couple packs of bass strings.

:wave:
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:24 pm

wow soundwar u have a linnstrument ?! that would be siiiick

plinkz I used to use flickr to upload photars then on mobile you could repost them to forums. this may or may not still be possible they've changed the gui a few times

I might be in a/b testing without knowing it (worst) I hate it when companies moves the buttons around every time I use their apps/websites
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:26 pm

Does the a800 feel really light? I'm using EPs old PCR and while I have no qualms with it, its lighter than all get out.

I think Roland has always had the edge on controllers though, at least in the era of midi.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:31 am

MetroSonus wrote:Does the a800 feel really light? I'm using EPs old PCR and while I have no qualms with it, its lighter than all get out.

I think Roland has always had the edge on controllers though, at least in the era of midi.

The A800 is just as light. They seem to be on a mission to reduce costs to the bone, which means controllers just aren't built like tanks anymore.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:46 am

That pcr is a keeper though. Its got the full range of midi controls built in ( like dedicated bank / patch change buttons) and all the pots aren't endless.

Do people even still midi? I guess its not 100% important anymore since people aren't having to recall entire songs and their settings from racks if modules.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:41 am

MetroSonus wrote:Do people even still midi?
That's why I bought a new cntrl. Sometimes I just want to noodle around with my rack synths. My old M-Audio Oxygen had only USB, and my old old Radium had USB + MIDI but the MIDI was busted.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:54 am

I have a Radium too. It's not terribad for an el-cheapo.

AND YES PEOPLE STILL MIDI, GAH. At least, I do. In fact, I don't USB at all. I'm old-fashioned. :D
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Well, MIDI over USB is *still* technically MIDI. Sure, it's faster than 5-pin-DIN MIDI and support more simultaneous "virtual MIDI cables" if needed, but the protocol's pretty much the same ol' protocol defined in 1982. :smoke:

So yeah, people still use MIDI a lot even if they only have modern gear.

Even with the old 5 pin standard, I still have a few Keyboards that were made before say the late 2000s when including USB MIDI became a mandatory feature. So I'd pretty much have to use 5 pin DIN MIDI or a convertor for those pieces anyways.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:15 pm

Do I still MIDI? Oh yes indeed. Original standard MIDI is a must-have for me because I've still got gear that needs it.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Most of my gear has USB, but I still use traditional DIN connections. And I never record audio through USB, either.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Yes to MIDI. Of course :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:14 pm

I'm *sure* geniuses, that people still use MIDI for note data.

But i was talking about deep control :mad: NRPNs, LSB / MSBs etc. You know... like deep hacker stuff.

MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:41 pm

lolol I have no idea what you just said. :facepalm:

I am no hacker. But! Back in the day of the "older" telcomm systems, I used to fancy myself a bit of a phreak.

I really want to tell you a story about what I did to the phone system one time at this place, but I'm afraid to put it on the nets because, permanent and incriminating. Let's just say, I used to have "skillz." :smoke:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I did try to control softsynths via MIDI using the Remote Zero but we all know how that story ends.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Yop. I tried to setup my ReMOTE SL to program the Mopho... NPRNs. NPRNs everywhere. But it turned it that some things just couldn't be done solely from the SL. I haven't tried to dive that deep into it again.

As far as mucking around with MIDI events in a sequencer.... Nope. Never needed to.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:29 am

Yeah, I'm sure most deep automation is hand-drawn or set up type stuff in a DAW. I can't imagine using NPRNs for, say, dubstep.

(You could, but the interpolation in yer old synth better be up to the task! Plus, doing something typical like - say - cloning instances of the same synth and setting different tempo-synced filter sweep LFOs -- is ridiculously easy in a DAW. Cloning hardware, not so much. :) )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:40 am

When I said I needed MIDI I of course meant 5 pin DIN.

And I know all bout MIDI nao, because this:

Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:26 pm

NPRN. What's it all about?
selfinflikted
Down in it

PreviousNext

Return to KSS