Anyone using Dimension Pro w/ the E-MU soundpacks?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Anyone using Dimension Pro w/ the E-MU soundpacks?

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 09, 2012 12:48 pm

I just realized I had the XL1 soundset sitting around that I bought on a sale for Dimension Pro.

Does anyone know what the engine is based off of? I've heard rumors it's the Proteus X desktop engine and thought about getting it for running the sample CDs, if it had the filters and most of the programming options in it.

If not.. I may just upgrade my Halion to the full sampler and track down the old EMU sampler CDs for all that.. or sod it, i may just get the hardware, since it more or less costs the same now as upgrading everything and buying the discs. :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Anyone using Dimension Pro w/ the E-MU soundpacks?

Postby christianrock » Wed May 09, 2012 4:03 pm

*crickets*
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 09, 2012 4:37 pm

yea well... at least I was trying to encourage discussion :lol:

the copy says 16 filter types.. that's nothing near the 90 or so on the E-MU gear.. I have a feeling the sample CDs are just presets rips in sound font format. Fine for playing, but not programming.

well, i do have a big ol empty rack to fill .. :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed May 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Not sure I understand question.

ARe you asking if Dimension Pro is really just E-MU Proteus-X in disguise?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 09, 2012 6:32 pm

YES

no

YES

:kraftwerk:

uh yea.

but as I said.. i haz a suspicion that the CDs are just soundfounts..
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu May 10, 2012 3:02 pm

You know, from reading the descriptions of Dimension Pro back when I had decided to get Sonar X1, I did see that a lot of stuff in DPro pointed to the Proteus engines. In some pages it even named Digital Sound Factory as a partner in Dimension Pro, I don't remember where though.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 10, 2012 3:23 pm

I will be seriously disappoint if we don't get a real :kraftwerk: smiley.

Serious disappoint.

\.:mad:.?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu May 10, 2012 4:13 pm

fine. we have kraptwirp. rendering in this 8 bit style, and not fancy like cause i suck with the photoshop.

MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Y U NO ANIMATE hurrrr
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Y U NO EVER SATISFIED?

Not sure if EP

or woman.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu May 10, 2012 5:02 pm

lulz, this thread haz them.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 11, 2012 9:18 am

feh all that,

Should I upgrade Rapture LE to the Full McCoy for $19.99? Is it very different than DimPro? Do I need another big honkin soft synth that I have no time for?
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri May 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Is Dimension Pro also a synth and can it do all that Rapture does?

I see a lot more people getting into Z3ta than I see comments about Rapture. It seems Z3ta+ is the one synth to rule them all (in Sonar's world).

But if, like you said, you won't have time to play another synth anyway, then say FEH. And spend the money on food.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 11, 2012 3:15 pm

me neither... it's going to Zebra 2 and ElectraX for a while for me, along with the TR rack and eventually the E/W romplers.

it's hard thought not to scratch that "what if" itch and not take things one thing at a time.
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri May 11, 2012 3:49 pm

My impression is that:
- Dimension Pro is a soft rompler (think Fantom or Motif);
- Z3ta is mostly a VA;
- Rapture is somewhere in the middle.

Rapture is probably closer to a wavetable synth.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 25, 2012 3:23 am

Z3TA 2.1 upgrade is on sale for $35.

I haz a tempt.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri May 25, 2012 1:49 pm

So did we ever decide what the best software "rompler" was?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 25, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm just going with East West Goliath and then whatever other packs they have that float my boat.

The thing is, Goliath seems to be petty comprehensive and it seems to offer a lot of content, in terms of gigs, over other VST romplers. Reviews are really good too.

Most I've seen, it looks like more or less you're paying for the engine and then the getcha is the extra sample packs.

But the east west stuff is a no frills engine and the focus is on the sounds.

but before I eat my words, I'll let you know after i get it :lol:

the thing for me is though, i think the days of the S+S rompler in the DAW world are over. it's far easier to combine samples and a VST with clever MIDI and audio routings and setups into different VST channels and such than it would be (in my eyes) to use something like Halion.

I think there's a lot of potential there myself.
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Tue May 29, 2012 1:44 am

I use dimention le it has a lot of awesome sound packs and has a synthesis engine. I have all the ensoniq and emu roms that were re-issued a couple years ago. it's made by cakewalk and not emu (creative owns emu now).

they still sound awesome, especially the ensoniq stuff and i use the planet phatt basses all the time. I kinda explained this in another thread but when dimentions fidelity is too damn high I bust out d16s decimort and reduce teh bits or clip the inputs. morgana is good for this too but when I tried the demo I ended up using it mostly for drums.

I've also got some synclavier patches for kontakt, some fairlight, emax, etc i think and decimort has presets like mpc 60, Yamaha fz, etc. so I can sample something into esx24 and apply bit reduction, overdrive, etc to capture some of that vintage sampler character. it works for me and in the mix it can be also be used as a lofi eq or tone control.

http://www.d16.pl/decimort

dimention pro has like 16 filter types but obvs there not as sweet as real analog emu filters but having a plug-in GUI and a seemingly unlimited sound palette, instant recall, etc compared to hardware makes it work for me. still u could buy a super proteus and get all the rom cards and it would be better.

I have yet to find truly great filters itb but sound toys filter freak looks cool and so does fab filter. I think some soft synths can be used as fx inserts so maybe ace or diva's filters can be used ? dunno.

the same way vintage samplers can be uh sampled so can romplers but usually I like higher fidelity recordings. In my beats sometimes a triton patch sounds killer compared to an actual orchestral ting. there's totally a time and a place for romplers IMHO

I think pretty much any rompler can be re-created in kontakt if u sample the rom sounds like once or twice an octave. When I have time I'd like to reconstruct my korg O1w/fd in kontakt and compare it to the original. something like redmatica autosampler or open labs mimik prolly makes this fool proof.

http://www.redmatica.com/Redmatica/AutoSampler.html
http://www.openlabs.com/mimik.html

i think some soundfont cds or whatever of fantom g, motif, etc on ebay are a little sketchy and possibly illegal to sell. but i don't see a problem in buying a used fantom or motif rack, sampling them and reselling or trading. when it comes to other types of synths like analogs guys like pink noise studios try to make it dynamic sounding but it still comes off as glorified presets.

the ultimate rompler plug-in is nexus by refx. my mom bought it for me at xmas like when it first came out. i have no idea how she heard about it but now its rated one of the best plug-ins ever by kvr. a lot of the sounds don't need any eq or compression they're just good to go and easy to flip through till u find what u want.

rapture is a cool synth the reason being is wave table synthesis IMHO which is distinct and separate from 'sampler' synthesis. now we have camel audio alchemy but at the time it came out rapture was my go-to wave synth and still has retail wave packs available that are really great like galbanum.

http://www.galbanum.com/products/archit ... eforms-ce/
(danger this link auto-plays pretty bad demos)

this is because z3ta+ was never released on Mac. it is by far the greatest wave table plug-in and I gently weep at times because of this. there is hope tho with vmachine you can load synths like synth1, z3ta, ob-x pro, etc on Mac and use soundflower to route audio to logic.

this was part of a massive windoze on Mac the cake is a lie ? experiment I carried out a couple years ago testing parallels, vm ware, boot camp, etc. vmachine works ok but it's buggy as hell and frequently crashes. none of the parallels or vm ware to osx virtual midi solutions worked for me so vmachine is still best and requires the least cpu headroom.

I got east west symphonic orchestra like a year or 2 ago second hand for $300-400. It was a great score because he had the old kontakt versions and the play versions. play was such a steaming pile of shit that I uninstalled the whole east west like 1000 zigabytes and used the kontakt versions instead. I heard they attempted to fix play but it was a paid upgrade ? FAIL

what was teh question ?
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue May 29, 2012 3:55 am

gregwar wrote:what was teh question ?
I believe those other dudes are nattering about large flightless birds, but what's important is whether or not Z3TA 2.1 is worth $35. I still haz a tempt. I dunno, maybe Pentagon is a good enough VA.
Plink Floyd

Next

Return to KSS