My DAW considerations thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: My DAW considerations thread.

Postby topcat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:00 pm

When I'm looking around to buy some new gear whether hardware or software, I like to find the forum for the manufacturer and read a lot of the posts about the thing I'm looking at. And yes, even gearslutz can be a good place to learn about gear, as long as it's one of the many other forums, and not the Electronics one. ;)
You can get a pretty good idea of the positives and negatives from the people who are actually using it.
YouTube videos are also a great resource for information, tutorials, etc.

Don't listen to any of us naysayers, do what YOU want, and if this software is calling you, for gosh sake, answer it with a resoundING YES!!! :lol:
topcat

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:08 pm

I don't disagree that this will ultimately be my decision, but I value each and every person's opinion here... with MAYBE Clavinator being the exception*. So while I will make my own damn choice, you guys' input will most definitely factor in because, you guys r frens and would never intentionally steer me wrong.

* Just pickin' mang :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 pm

OK, I'll give my (so very IMPORTANT) opinion here... Don't use Sonar. Non-intuitive, documentation only int he form of "tutorials"... bleh. I'm done.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:09 pm

I used cakewalk and then cubase years and years ago. I have always thought that cubase just had better built in stuffs. I know it was the go to out of the box recording and mastering solution for many years and I even went from loops I made in FL studio to dropping them in the arrangement window thingy in cubase.

I like Live alot, but I really need to expand my plug in selection. I don't write notation so don't need it and I mostly just use step sequencers and audio so Live it is. Although, there are some really neat things you can do in FL studio you can do in live, so it has it's uses too.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:11 pm

So, Apple had their "event" thing today. They refreshed the Mac Mini. Dudes. And ladies. FINALLY. A Mac that is good enough for me that is sub $1000. The "base" model is 3.6gHz quad core 8 GB RAM 128GB SSD, plus tons of connectivity. I think I am going to get this, with maybe the exception of upgrading to 256GB SSD. But, even the base model is 2 to 4x the computer I currently have, and my current one is fine except that it's not particularly updateable.

In a word, HURRAY!
Last edited by selfinflikted on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm hearing a lot of excitement about this new Mac Mini.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Yea. I'm actually very excited about this. This is pretty much exactly what I've been waiting on. Prolly gonna pull the trigger around first or second quarter next year - I wanna wait until these little jewels get into the hands of some actual users, so I can get the lowdown on performance and such. But I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen. And this will pair nicely with the Focusrite I recently got from TopKitteh.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:55 am

late to the thread.

i have a 2012 mac mini quad core and it’s a great machine! i’m annoyed apple has increased the cost (a fully spec’d out mini is like $4,000.00!) but so far the reviewers seem impressed.

the question is what do you think you’ll want to do? record mostly hardware through a mixer/audio interface? use a few plug-ins and editing teh legos?

if so i’m not sure the DAW is as significant or the OS. I would recommend using a fairly fast external drive

are you thinking of going more in the box with mostly midi input and small project files? this is what i mostly do with the exception of vocals.

i find logic is very good at the midi stuff and you can get fairly large and complex arrangements going fairly quickly once you know what your doing.

if you have any specific questions let me know
gregwar

Previous

Return to KSS