My DAW considerations thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: My DAW considerations thread.

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm

MetroSonus wrote:so the main advantage is just a bigger or screen, to pull double duty in small spaces? ect?

Resolution for me would be key... my current studio PC set up has two of the old-style 4:3 monitors (remember them?) for a grand total of 3200x1200 space. I find that kind of resolution very handy, especially given that I like to maximize windows a lot.

I've thought about a full blown HTPC but if I converted all my DVDs etc. onto it, I think it would confuse the wife. I do have a Mac Mini that is an MP3 / Squeezebox server (including streaming radio etc.) among many other things.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:30 pm

I only keep a few family movies on it. Its not worth the effort for some thing i hardly watch. I use mine mainly for back up, streaming radio and online services. But whats kind of cool is if they come out With a new player or something, you throw in the drive.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 am

soundwar 106 can u elaborate a little on ur daw set-up ? if u've already posted about it at length a link perhaps ? what model of mini do u have and what would be different about a 'full blown htpc' ?

btw the best app i've found for teh viewing & playing is called mac blu-ray player (which is now also available for pc). i fought for a while with ichunes (boo), format converters, etc for stuff like flac but now i find the blu-ray app plays anything i throw at it. i have yet to test it with an external blu-ray drive for movies & backup purposes but i assume it would be fairly painless.

i still think winamp is the greatest and the same guys develop reaper which is awesome and one of the reasons i use it, especially for cross-platform lego shenanigans (my friend and i have an inside joke about daw sequencers being lego).

i'm kind of debating whether i want to get a diy blacet research modular kit or the touch screen. this may not be the appropriate thread but i heard the blacets are great for diy beginners and can be assembled fairly easily and quickly.

i also like the mfos sound lab ultimate, expander and 16 step sequencer but they're face plates don't seem to fit into 19" racks very easily (i'm not a fan of the 'cabinet' setup). i like designing faceplates and could in theory just custom make ones from a faceplate maker (i also would prefer it to be banana jacks like the blacet) but it seems like a lot of work would be involved.
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:02 am

So I got me a stripey-ass i7-3770k CPU & ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus mobo. I still need an SSD, some RAID drives, and a Big Cuda GPU which will necessitate a bigger PS.

But first things first; I need to ram some RAM in there, so

Questions: Would I be foolish to get less than the max 32mb ram? I think so, since it's for video editing as well as a DAW.

And should I fool with overclocking? At stock proc speed (3.5GHz bwahaahaa), it wants four slots of dual channel DDR3/1600. The i7 can be clocked up to 3.9GHz, but that doesn't seem to be that much of a gain for the expense of faster RAM. I'm not a gamer, so this whole OC foolery seems kind of skateboardey to me. Possibly I wasted money on this particular mobo with all it's overclockery features, but, it was priced right as part of a bundle.

And, of what use is the Optical S/PDIF port? Strictly home theater related, or wut?
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:so the main advantage is just a bigger or screen, to pull double duty in small spaces? ect?

Resolution for me would be key... my current studio PC set up has two of the old-style 4:3 monitors (remember them?) for a grand total of 3200x1200 space. I find that kind of resolution very handy, especially given that I like to maximize windows a lot.

That actually makes a lot of sense though. I could see how maximized windows would more efficiently use 4:3 than 16:9. If you spend most of your time in the multi track view of your DAW, I could see how a 16:9 would work better. But for apps and other things, 4:3 may actually be better. In fact, I could see using a 16:9 for multi track view and a 4:3 for VSTs. Most people would just grab two 16:9, but I agree in a few ways it's nice not to have the extra space around the sides. That's kind of the one thing I don't like about Mac displays; whenever you maximize something, it's just a thin strip in the middle of the monitor and it's not really "embiggened".
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 pm

whoa plink thats a beast lol

i got 2x8g ram for $90 so it should be somewhere under $200 for 32g ram. its kind of up to you if the expense justifies it but i think 16g ram should be ok for moderate to high sample library use.

if a sample library is on an ssd or very fast raid setup it needs less ram, not sure if that applies to video. i'm not very familiar vid editing rigs so i can't really comment much on that.
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:29 am

gregwar wrote:i got 2x8g ram for $90 so it should be somewhere under $200 for 32g ram. its kind of up to you if the expense justifies it but i think 16g ram should be ok for moderate to high sample library use.

if a sample library is on an ssd or very fast raid setup it needs less ram, not sure if that applies to video. i'm not very familiar vid editing rigs so i can't really comment much on that.
This mobo has four RAM slots, so I think I'll start with 2x8 for now. As I understand it so far, HD NLE machines benefit mostly from proc power, GPU power, lotsa RAM and RAID. SSD for OS fits in there somewhere too...
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:29 am

Ah, wut the heck. Done.

Moore's Law will justify my profligacy.

:yolo:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:09 pm

More like MOAR!'s law. :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Duuuuuuude. :cool:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:58 am

So I slammed in the new mobo/proc (after backing up the OS HDD, of course) . I didn't have high hopes that WIN7 would deal with that, and my skepticism was justified. It DOES NOT WANT new mobo.

So, should I mess with sysprep.exe/oobe? Netgeeks are split about that, with some saying "yeah, it always works" and others saying "no u noob don't do it if there are big hdwr changes" which this would have. I probably should just be safe and do a new OS install.

And all that that entails. :mad:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:02 am

Oh, and this is now

MY DAW CONSIDERATIONS THREAD THANK YOU FOR CONSIDERING
THE THOUGHTS EXPRESSED BY THESE LOCKED CAPS!!1
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:52 pm

did you do a new install of Win7 or just loaded the HDD onto the new MOBO? You have to re-install windows when you get a new motherboard. Too many problems if you don't..
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Definitely do a new install. Too many driver changes needed to get your current setup back on its feet.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:19 pm

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:29 am

Ya know, I've transplanted OS HDDs into new systems before with reasonable success. Not this time, though. I guess going from dual core to octo is just plenty way too much new for Winders.

Well, now to re-install countless pograms. Ug I hate this...
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:43 am

gregwar wrote:soundwar 106 can u elaborate a little on ur daw set-up ? if u've already posted about it at length a link perhaps ? what model of mini do u have and what would be different about a 'full blown htpc' ?

Basically, to turn the Mac Mini into a full blown HTPC, I think I would simply need some software (I've heard of some free ones that are supposedly good), a big media server, and the time and patience to rip all of my DVDs on the hard drive. Plus some time and patience to resolve the inevitable snafus, and some time and patience to figure out how to route the output from said PC to the two TVs in our house (probably not using wi-fi so there would be some time and patience running cables through walls). Much easier said than done.

My DAW setup is on my main computer. This is an i7-2600K CPU overclocked at 4.5GHz with 16GB RAM, and a 120GB main SSD drive and a 240GB SSD drive for samples. This is enough to gain my computer a Windows Experience Index (TM) of 7.8. Hmm.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:28 pm

All you'd need is an external HDD for storage. I split my HTPC quite easily between two TVs because my living room and bedroom TVs are back to back on the same wall.

The thing I hate though is that using HDMI on more than one TV is a pain in the ass. Your best option, in my opinion, is getting a USB video card for you mac mini and mirror the output via HDMI onto the two TVs. I'd stick the mac by the tv you use the most, then get powered extender that will convert your HDMI to CAT5, run the cable through the wall and back down to your second TV where another converter puts it to HDMI.

The convenience is with HDMI, you get the audio in the stream. But HDMI is easier to work with if you have two HDMI outputs rather than one splitting to two. I may do that eventually and upgrade my PC with another card. Right now I leave it in the bedroom and I have to swap the HDMI cable when we want to watch the PC in the other room, which is rarely right now.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:00 pm

MetroSonus wrote:All you'd need is an external HDD for storage.

In theory, but I'd want backup of some kind, too. So two external HDDs. Or get a RAID compatible NAS. :jam:

To be honest,I think one good option once kinks are worked out is to put a DLNA/UPnP server, like TwonkyServer or something, on the Mac Mini. Then it's just a matter of either figuring out if wireless is good enough for high def streaming or whether I really need to run wires. (Or utilize TCP/IP over the main power lines... one computer's already on that system and it's decently fast.)

My Mac Mini is sort of old (P8700 version, 2009) but I think it could handle both Squeezecenter and a UPnP center. (I already have a couple of Squeezebox players in the house, that works great over Wi-Fi)

The problem is, reviews of DLNA players like the Boxee Box or my one DLNA compatible Blu Ray (Oppo BDP-93) are not as encouraging about how "tech friendly" it is (want my wife to be able to run it) and how glitchy / non-glitchy it is. I don't want to spend all that work encoding DVDs into MP4s or whatever only to find out that everything is glitching out on playback :horse: That being said, I already implement TCP/IP over the main power wires, which is quite a bit faster / more reliable than Wi-Fi, so I'm sure there is less glitches if I stream media over that.

Something to keep in mind, because eventually it will be convenient to put all disc media in a box and enjoy the extra space. (This has already happened with my CD collection. I think we're slowly getting to that point with media. I'd ditch the cable personally too if it wasn't for the wife factor.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:01 pm

http://www.plexapp.com

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/sett ... vironment/
the tutorial is for ubuntu but can work for mac or pc

a plex environment is where all your media is stored in a central location. then it acts as a streaming server to xbox, ps3, roku, etc over dlna and with myplex to mobile devices like iOS, android & win phone on the go. i tried the desktop app its alright
gregwar

PreviousNext

Return to KSS