My DAW considerations thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: My DAW considerations thread.

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:08 pm

So what are you using now?

Speaking of stuff with quirks, my Mackie 32x8 mixer also has a couple little flaws. One is the main VU meter needle - it's a bit warped as it was stuck and my bandmate in 1999 decided to fix it :freak:
It also has a channel that doesn't work - it hasn't since I remember having it (and I bought it new in 1996, but didn't use all channels for a long time - I found out about this about the same time, around 1998-99 or so). As far as I know, it's always been a 31-channel board. And the entire thing is just one huge integrated circuit, so I doubt it's economically viable to get the channel fixed.
So, a board that could probably get me 600 bucks if it was working fine, is probably worth 250-300 when I sell it next year...

On the EMU - I think I'd have to find an older G5 mac to run that card. All the newer ones are PCIe... but the good news is, apparently some of those older models support memory up to 8Gb and have dual core processors, so it could be worth buying one if I find the right one.

Another option is a "hackintosh", right? Does it come with a legit copy of the Mac OS? If not ,forget it.

Oh and how's the latency on that EMU? I suppose not as good as PCIe but better than USB.

Edit: actually, newer Mac Pros might have PCI slots. I must dig deeper...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:52 pm

I guess no such luck.

Only very older G5 models still had regular PCI slots. Apple then went to PCI-X, PCI Express 1.1 (might be the same as PCI-X) and finally PCIe 2.0.

I guess I could still get a PC and have a PCI slot built in?

I've read very good reviews of that 1820m card by the way. People say it's very solid and that the Vista driver will work on Windows 7 even though it's not officially supported.

Second look at a PC, I guess :lol: Gateway and Asus still make computers with regular PCI card slots, but only on some models. They're being phased out...
Last edited by christianrock on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:58 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:extra outputs
Theatrical surroundage? :idk:
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:02 am

Plink Floyd wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:extra outputs
Theatrical surroundage? :idk:

Mmmm, yeah, I'd believe that.

CR, I don't wanna ruin your decision making, so don't feel obligated to take the 1820. BTW, it's NOT the "m" version. Just a plain "1820".

And yes, you can still get PCs with original PCI slots, I think. This is a half-length card. I'll even toss in my old copy of Emulator-X, if I can find it.

I don't recall latency being a problem. The main reason I stopped using it was because I wanted more inputs so I could go mixer-less.

After my pain of using the Presonus, I decided to bite the big bullet and bought an RME Fireface 800. It's been absolutely solid, no problems. OH I take that back, it had a power problem after about a month, but customer service was excellent and I got a replacment fairly quickly. No problems since, and never had any performance issues. I run about 5ms latency on my Core2-Duo Windows Vista (!!!) system.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:04 am

:)
Last edited by ClavAnother on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:07 am

p.s. my mac has PCI slots

noob.
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:24 am

nub

....sauce.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:47 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:CR, I don't wanna ruin your decision making, so don't feel obligated to take the 1820. BTW, it's NOT the "m" version. Just a plain "1820".

Do you know the difference?

And yes, you can still get PCs with original PCI slots, I think. This is a half-length card. I'll even toss in my old copy of Emulator-X, if I can find it.

That's very generous, old chap!!

I don't recall latency being a problem. The main reason I stopped using it was because I wanted more inputs so I could go mixer-less.

After my pain of using the Presonus, I decided to bite the big bullet and bought an RME Fireface 800. It's been absolutely solid, no problems. OH I take that back, it had a power problem after about a month, but customer service was excellent and I got a replacment fairly quickly. No problems since, and never had any performance issues. I run about 5ms latency on my Core2-Duo Windows Vista (!!!) system.

Ahhh yes RME is the one I want on the long term. You did well, young grasshopper.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Clav, all these old G5 Macs I see have like 512Mb RAM, even though they're apparently upgradeable to 4Gb in blcoks of two 256Mb sticks. I'd spend more money and time tracking down enough memory to be able to run Logic, than I would if I just got a different system. Not so? And isn't that older DDR memory?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:48 am

:idea:
Last edited by ClavAnother on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:04 am

:eek:
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Well, it seems like that old E-MU 1820 has regular Creative consumer converters so it's probably best if I just buy one of the "m" interfaces... :cry:

So, I've started working on a song in the meantime. With drums (already totally programmed), piano (on the way) and pads from the Fusion. Then I'll dump those to my multi-track and add guitarz, bass and vocals and let's see what I get. I still have some 50 minutes worth of tape so I'm thinking I'll record some songs while I wait until the best time to sell my stuff (tax return season!).
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Yeah, I, too, need a multi input audio interface. I almost bought an M-Audio 1010lt, but that looming PCIe thing daunted me.

:daunted:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:45 pm

So how goes my huntdown?

Super, thanks for asking :thu:

First, I've decided to sell pretty much everything I have. All of the ouboard stuff, recording gear, 3-4 guitars, 2 basses, 2 acoustics, and all my keys stuff. :eek:

Second, I've decided on a few things so far:
Computer: the best Mac I can afford...
DAW: Logic. Sorry Clav, for 199 you can't really beat it! I wouldn't even get a Mac if it wasn't for Logic.
Interface: Steinberg MR816X (nice cheaper alternative to the RME stuff, apparently sounds better than EMU and even Apogee)
Drum sounds/pads interface: Arturia Spark.

To be decided still:
- 88-keys controller - or maybe add a DAW controller w/ at least 8 faders to my A90 which I love and in this case would then keep
- A mono analog
- Possibly, a new workstation in the future. If I do sell all my stuff without taking too big a hit... maybe my controller will be the Kronos :thu:

Yup, I'm going ITB. My setup will be so so small, I think I'm going to move out of the basement and create a kids play room in there :eek:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:57 pm

:clap:

I would keep the A-90 and add a control surface of some kind. You could pick-n-choose what works. Besides, all the knobby keyboard controllers these days seem to have the suckiest action, so keep the A-90.

Mono analog... That will be a fun hunt. :grin: If I had to pick one right now, the Minibrute would be a strong contender, although I'd prefer something that was just knobs and no keyboard.

Kronos. :thu:

ITB: :eek: I have to say I'm kinda sliding in that direction myself. It's hard to justify taking up a whole room with old gear when it can all be done inside the PC now. Mostly. You know what I mean.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:58 pm

and then what are you using for instruments? like synthesizers and shillze?

I have not qualms with being in the box as far as effects, ROMplers and VAs go. I do though miss the hybrids, analogs, and some of the S+S synths. I figure I can have both, but I need to dedicate and get my PC going too.

it's super comfy to sit down and just turn on the dang thing and work.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 pm

There's a TON of instruments in Logic :)

I might keep the EX-8000 (it's still going up in price) and like I said, I do plan on getting an analog mono.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:08 pm

I think I will need to stay in the basement as I'm pretty much set on the KRK 10-3 as my monitors of choice.

:eek:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 am

It stays in the basement or it get's the hose!

:yapyapbarkbark:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:32 pm

if yo decided to sell yo ex 8000 and I have money, let me know.

but only if I have money. cause I want one.

girls like peanuts.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

PreviousNext

Return to KSS