Jam With Tapes™

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Jam With Tapes™

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Nice work, Metro. :thu:

I also synthed this weekend. Hard. Jan Hammer cover is coming along nicely.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:01 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I also synthed this weekend. Hard. Jan Hammer cover is coming along nicely.

and thanks for the kudos guys!! I never knew there was an interest in slow baked sci fi drones. My band camp page seems to be doing well.. better than I thought actually. :smoke:

our local science place hasn't returned my calls, so I dunno bout that as a gig. Suppose I'll try again, but I don't see much interest locally for that kind of think. Maybe soundwave knows? nudge nudge..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:09 pm

It's actually cool for me to listen to while at work. I mean, it's non-lyrical, non-specific, so it isn't distracting. It's like background "music" for the day. I just hate I can't ACTUALLY listen while at work too much because they get on to us for streaming because we have such limited bandwidth here (5mbs down, to be exact. ABYSMAL).

I should like mp3's. I should do that. They are freely downloadable, yes?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:26 pm

It seems like Metro's getting a hang on this drone thing... :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Downloads are free, just enter 0.00$. What would also be cool is you played them in a player (winamp, windows media or something) that lets you set a cross fade between tracks.

I admit, it's taken some guts to stick with it. Trying to find own your artistic voice and develop your "brand" when you're flying blind can be tough.

I got stuck on the last album because i was experimenting, but it wasn't working out too well. Then somehow, I came full circle and I really made progress with it. Years ago, in the 90's, when I still rode a dinosaur to work and had a beer with george washington afterwards (according to my son anyway) I sold hour long atmosphere CDs to commercial haunted houses. It was a market I created actually. I sold to busch gardens, universial studios and 6 flags way back when they were starting out their halloween events. Up until then, anything commercial was just a better version of those grocery store sound effect CDs that was random noises and stuff.

Anyway, I digress, but I found that a song short of ten minutes wasn't theatrical or atmospheric enough to really get into it so I bumped it up to 20 mins, cut the "music" out of it uploaded a few and the feed back i got was similar to what i did with my halloween CDs "dude! why has no one done this before?!?!". So between that and seeing that I've had steady searches come in looking for my music, I figured I'm getting closer to my "brand" and I decided I should at least make one hell of a go of it. :smoke:

Another interesting anecdote is that my first VST, V Station, I never even made any sort of instrument patches on it. In fact my first few were sci fi doors opening and such :lol: I suppose I had to come to terms with the fact that I'm just unconventional when it comes to my approach towards electronic music. I'm ok with that now and I'm beyond thrilled to know that there's at least a handful of people that are along for the ride.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:02 pm

Dude, you having said all that - I keep telling ya: FILM SCORING.

Perhaps you should give this a shot? Indy producers are all the time asking for scoring/sountrack work done. *I've* even been approached by two different director/producers about this. And I've actually considered doing it. Both were horror films, and what you're doing with this drone stuff would fit rather nicely into a horror score, IMO. Like, seriously. You should think about that.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:50 pm

The films would have to have loooooooooooong scenes though ;) (I mean, to do the music justice ;P)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:26 am

MetroSonus wrote:our local science place hasn't returned my calls, so I dunno bout that as a gig. Suppose I'll try again, but I don't see much interest locally for that kind of think. Maybe soundwave knows? nudge nudge..

I unfortunately have absolutely no idea.

To be fair, I've put basically zero effort into marketing the stuff I make these days. In the past I've done some atmospheric Halloweenish John Carpenterish things too in the past for my wife who has done some horror host work, and that got passed around a small amount. The real problem I see is with the regular job and some of my other hobbies, music making is only an "occasional thing" and I'm not sure if I could predictably make music on any sort of schedule. It's also hard to "hang with the artsy crowd" for the same reasons, lack of truly disposable time. Might as well make what you're in the mood for.

I suppose I should ask for feedback from a couple of the streaming type things that kind of are aligned with what I'm doing now, but I'm lazy. :cop: :tounge:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:52 pm

Not sure why I'm so fascinated with this type of stuff lately, but I do dig it.

ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:52 am

You should work this into a song and poast it for ALL OF THE GLORY.

I am really into that sound, too. And that metal thingamajig you have.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:42 pm

I can't believe I haven't miced it proper in the studio yet
ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:01 am

here's the new comp for Q2 2015
gregwar

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:24 pm

I know I'm tired when I misread Matro as saying he sold to butch gardeners. :grin: :facepalm:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:35 pm

A whole album full of SWAG, War? :thu: :smoke: Congrats on being productive!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:36 am

thanks but it's a compilation of 5 main rappers plus our beat maker knife. I've been trying to put them out on a semi-consistent basis every 3 months (business quarter)

I have been working on my rap but there were a few small set backs. I've also been feeling like synthing and beat making lately. I've been trying to find a studio space for rent that isn't super expensive so I can go there and work without distractions
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:21 am

Purity_Control wrote:I know I'm tired when I misread Matro as saying he sold to butch gardeners. :grin: :facepalm:
That's ok, just relax with an nicer butch. It made bud weiser, u know.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
Purity_Control wrote:I know I'm tired when I misread Matro as saying he sold to butch gardeners. :grin: :facepalm:
That's ok, just relax with an nicer butch. It made bud weiser, u know.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Obligatory:

ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:34 am

Wow, two POBs*. I thought I'd be lucky to get a galfclop for that one.

*pizzed off babbies
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:31 pm

What teh carp people :lol:
MetroSonus

PreviousNext

Return to KSS