The gear demo thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The gear demo thread.

Postby topcat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Purity_Control wrote:The percussion is particularly awful,

People have spent thousands of dollars(or pounds) to get that sound. :lol:
topcat

Postby gregwar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:45 pm

i think nick likes it!

he points out the filter is like a 2 pole but allows a decent amount of sub bass and harmonics

he also mentions the osc are 3340s that sound decent

my thoughts are that i would rather get a synth like the neutron that has its own thing instead of the seemingly unlimited clones and reissues

not bad for $300 !! :thu:
gregwar

Postby topcat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:57 am

$300??? it sounds excellent.
I've been very impressed with the stuff Behringer is releasing and I think it's a good thing we have another manufacturer challenging the established synth companies.
This can mean competitive pricing and more R&D rather than releasing rehashed products over and over again.

If you were to spend a day on Gearslutz reading Behringer posts you'd either believe Behringer is the savior of all sacred things synthwise, or the devil incarnate.
I've never seen a company or CEO that has such a polarizing effect on people.

The future looks bright for musicians as Behringer continues to push the envelope as far as exciting new products at a very affordable price.

Thanks for sharing greg. :)
topcat

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:49 pm

If you were to spend a day on Gearslutz reading Behringer posts you'd either believe Behringer is the savior of all sacred things synthwise, or the devil incarnate.

I can't say I have an opinion that also isn't hypocritical. I mean yeah the guy has copied legit stuff and used Chinese manufacturing to circumvent patent law in other countries. Then on the other hand, he's now copying many synths that boutique people have been for years. A two guy operation in a Brooklyn apartment is unabashedly romantic and most people are all for it. But I guess maybe he's using ill gotten gains to put these smaller people with a passion out of business?

I dunno.. I'd buy the neutron because it's not a copy of anything, it's feature packed, sounds great and it's cheap. I've never been into "cloned" synths and I think most peoples nostalgia is tied to movies and films etc where the synths are prominently featured. Nothing wrong with that I guess, I can't relate to that or people who collect movie props.. but different boats and different floats I suppose either.

When I can, I like to produce music and I don't have any style or anything except my own and I just like to think I can be creative on whatever is put before me. :idk: So i dunno. I have too much going on these days.. I just wanna be happy and rock the funk out and shoot kids with bb guns :lol:

I was just about to post that about the neutron.. more and more I like it!

Greg, I agree about the clones and reissues... it's funny that's what most synth people complain against but yet that's all they want and buy :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 pm

topcat wrote:If you were to spend a day on Gearslutz reading Behringer posts you'd either believe Behringer is the savior of all sacred things synthwise, or the devil incarnate.

A lot of it I think is bad mojo from the 2000s where they copied more or less stuff that was in production (read: not out of patent), like Mackie, Aphex, BBE, dbx, Drawmer, Roland, etc. The clones were cheap but often quite crappy. The ethics back then definitely were questionable. If they had just started now and their first product was a solid $300 exact Moog clone, I don't think there would've been as big of a ruckus.

The Neuron product does sounds good. Not for me, but mainly that's because I have Too Much Analog (heh, probably not a popular Gearslutz opinion :) ). So unless some tone strikes me as having something not in my current palette that I want in it (like the SE-02 for some reason did), I'll pass. What I do like about the current revival is that there are now just a ton of little "flavors and nuances" out there, and cost is getting less prohibitive year after year.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby topcat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:20 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
topcat wrote:If you were to spend a day on Gearslutz reading Behringer posts you'd either believe Behringer is the savior of all sacred things synthwise, or the devil incarnate.

A lot of it I think is bad mojo from the 2000s where they copied more or less stuff that was in production (read: not out of patent), like Mackie, Aphex, BBE, dbx, Drawmer, Roland, etc. The clones were cheap but often quite crappy. The ethics back then definitely were questionable. If they had just started now and their first product was a solid $300 exact Moog clone, I don't think there would've been as big of a ruckus.

Yes that's true, and I find it ironic most of the negativity about the earlier Behringer products is about poor quality rather than the initial copycat argument. I also find it humorous the same people who knock the made in China thing are typing their negativity on either a IPhone or Smartphone. Also whether you use an Apple or a Samsung, one of those stole the technology from the other (depends which came first the chicken or the egg, or which patent lawyer you talk to).lol

I don't own any Behringer products, never have really, but not due to some anti-Behringer reasons.

However they got to where they are, the point is where they are now, and love them or hate them Behringer is affecting the markeplace, and for musicians that will be a good thing.
topcat

Postby christianrock » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:25 pm

I've owned Behringer products, some good, some bad.

I first owned some that I think were their original designs - a gate and a preamp, both rack modules. They sounded like crap and were eventually sold.

I also owned their take on the POD - got it after having the original POD and selling it because I hated the sound. I was surprised at how much I actually liked the Behringer version of it - they obviously didn't copy the Line6 code nor had access to it, so they developed their own algorithms for the amp sounds and they were surprisingly good. I used it quite a bit but the effects were total crap so I ended up giving it to a friend who I knew would make good use of it. (As a side note, I also ended up giving my A-80 to this friend and his daughter learned to play piano with it and has become quite good as a singer/piano player, and she's still only in her mid-teens and just loves the A-80 piano action!)

Back to Behringer... haven't really owned anything else by them but was tempted to buy their Bass DI that they shamelessly copied from Tech21 (and sells for 29 dollars) but ended up deciding not to do that... I have bought a pedal from Joyo that is also a Tech21 copy so I'm not trying to make any moral statements here... it's what I could afford at the time.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 04, 2018 3:16 pm

This one threw me for a loop.. IK Multimedia UNO for $200 US. Not to shabby. Granted you can get bigger offerings from Behringer for not much more, but this is neat..

MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Fri May 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Yep. I'll take one of each.

ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:14 pm

The Behri demo I liked the best was the VP340 (Roland VP330 clone), although the price I've been hearing is a little steep for the "musical need". (That divide down sound is rather pretty but so "specific" in time and space, and I'm thinking that the Hollow Sun samples I got are "good enough"... for now...)

The Omnisphere update announcement was interesting in that they are adding built in control mapping from several synths. Prophet 6, for instance. Which means I can soon do EZ filter sweep of Glorious Guitars or something. :cool:

DSI Prophet X = I Can Haz 8Dio Film Score Library WITH ANALOG FILTERS!!!! :idk: (Might be good for sound design, I suppose.)

Edit: Yeah, that Uno is pretty cool.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Fri May 04, 2018 9:48 pm

Here he says at the beginning that the Prophet X has 150Gb of samples on board :eek:

$4K but worth it if you can swing it I'd say.

I gotta stop by Gearslutz to see how much they must be fawning over this. Or maybe they have a ton of things to complain about? :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:10 am

From what I see, they are pretty cool with it... and the sound demo I've heard is kind of nice.

$4K's a tough sell though... and actually the price is the biggest bitch I think I'm reading. (That and the current lack of ability to import your own samples.) The problem with the digital stuff is that computers can pretty much nail this type of thing these days. So you're paying for interface and some of the analog filters. Omnisphere is one of the more expensive VSTs out there at $479, but still much cheaper than this, and a lot of the patches give me the same vibe. So far, I haven't heard the analog filter benefit unfortunately (although it is early in the game).

Of course, the filmy composery market buys those expensive Kontakt sample packs (like 8Dio does) and that adds up quickly. I do see that market (the sound designer side of film composing) possibly warming up to this. You'd probably be able to edit some sound FX (and film trailer BWAAAs :lol:) much quicker with this thing than you can with a mouse. This synth also might end up running cheaper than a gigantic collection of 8Dio sample packs.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Sat May 05, 2018 8:21 pm

christianrock wrote:Here he says at the beginning that the Prophet X has 150Gb of samples on board :eek:

$4K but worth it if you can swing it I'd say.

I gotta stop by Gearslutz to see how much they must be fawning over this. Or maybe they have a ton of things to complain about? :lol:

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 pm

The string sound is surprisingly moogish... that could have come straight out of A Clockwork Orange. :thu:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby gregwar » Tue May 08, 2018 4:27 am

soundwave106 wrote:The Omnisphere update announcement was interesting in that they are adding built in control mapping from several synths. Prophet 6, for instance. Which means I can soon do EZ filter sweep of Glorious Guitars or something. :cool:

eric kept saying he wasn’t “emulating” the synths just their general vibe... but then he was like this jp-3x patch really nails it and the vox amp really sounds like moog drive..? lol not to mention presets based on each hw synth

i think omni 2.5 might be better suited with a generic controller and using the hardware emulations to say make sub phatty sounds with either the mouse or a generic controller.

i’ve never really thought of omni as a synth emulator but so many of the building blocks are there especially with the added custom waves for the osc
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:07 pm

gregwar wrote:eric kept saying he wasn’t “emulating” the synths just their general vibe... but then he was like this jp-3x patch really nails it and the vox amp really sounds like moog drive..? lol not to mention presets based on each hw synth

My hope is it really isn't an "emulation", just basically a "workflow" tied to the synth that you can using Omnisphere sources. If all you could do is build Prophet 6 emulation patches with a Prophet 6 in Omnisphere, I'd be disappointed. If you can easily edit Omnisphere patches (read: sample sources and all) with a Prophet 6 type workflow layout "pre-configured", I would find it useful, as it means that Omnisphere would become a bit more performance oriented. I haven't found Omnisphere as a "VA" as convincing as stuff like Diva so I'd also be disappointed if it was just analog emulations (why do I need that when I have a P6 to begin with? :lol:).

"We'll see", of course. It's possible this hardware emulation will be the disappoint, but it's a free update, so I can't complain too much.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Tue May 08, 2018 11:46 pm

ya it would be cool if u could use the p6 workflow, for example, then grow in a few sample osc like a super saw to fill in the sound. you could prolly just have 2 channels one to rec’d the p6 analog outputs and one controlling omni.

it would be cool if omni could run as an “effect” or have inputs to do live sound mangling like the v-synth. i like running sounds the other way around, out of the saw, into the v-synth inreal time for cross mod, cost effects, vocal designer, etc

that’s where omni shines imho with the harmonic/harmonium thing, ring mod, fm, etc are all very deep from what i’ve seen. real time harmonizing then granularizing would be very sick
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Mon May 21, 2018 6:08 pm

wait..............

you can use a synth to map it to the virtual synth inside of omni?

is that right?

why?!
MetroSonus

Previous

Return to KSS