The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Studio Spotlight

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:19 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:I don't have a studio. :weep:
I'm ensconced at an insanely fun water park resort that's crawling with bikini bottomed bathing bunnies. :weep:

And I'm not leaving until my allotted time is up. Don't bother sending the monkeys, I'll just hide under water.

Cause, like, monkeys don't like water.
Plink Floyd

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:46 am

Neither do bunnies.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby topcat » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Where is our friend Jyoti?
Is it time to send out a search party yet?
topcat

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:13 am

I talked to him on facebook a few days ago. He just got the UAD card and I was asking him about it. I guess he's been busy or something :idk: he said he'd swing by sooner or later.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:11 am

MetroSonus wrote:I talked to him on facebook a few days ago. He just got the UAD card and I was asking him about it. I guess he's been busy or something :idk: he said he'd swing by sooner or later.
Him? Busy? pff. All he ever does is lay around recording albums, shooting prof quality videos from scratch, making websites...

What a slouch.

:grin:
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:09 pm

I may do this next week, if only to give myself a special excuse to clean the place up. :lol:

Let me see how the week pans out.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:27 pm

please, do. someone respond. seriously and not this bunny men have echo bravo studio.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Ahaha. I really do have to do this. Sorry I'm late with it...

I can already hear the screams from the people that will demand that I do proper acoustic treatment in my basement... :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Y U NO USE BASS TRAPS?!?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby topcat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:23 pm

I hope they are humane bass traps? nothing but catch and release in our humble domicile.
Same with bass, they deserve to live as well, besides what do you do with a dead bass?

Oh..I forgot, according to Bernard I must squat when I pee. :lol:
topcat

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Forum name:Purity Control, I don't gig or commercially release material but there is a lot of my stuff on Soundclick and Youtube under that name.

Style of music: Mostly dark electronic and early industrial, sometimes 'Switched On' arrangements of classical music, though I don't mind reinterpreting works from other genres.

Synths/Keys: Korg SP200, Roland Jupiter 6, Manikin Memotron, Doepfer modular
Effects: Lexicon MX300, Boss CE-20, MAM VF-11 vocoder, Effectrode tube phaser, Vox tube overdrive
Other: Spendor BC-1 monitors, Quad 33/303 amp, Mackie 1202 mixer, MIDI Solutions T8 & MIDI Merge, M-Audio Audiophile interface
Software: Oscillastation, Acoustica Mixcraft, Imposcar, Yamaha Vocaloid Prima

Workflow: Usually compose on piano, practice until it's something like then record the MIDI into Oscillastation, then break down the individual parts and use Imposcar while I work out the arrangement, though I rarely record with Imposcar unless it really does a particular sound better than anything else. Then record each track individually and mix and tweak in Mixcraft

Favourite gear: Memotron, because it's a good escape from knobbage when you're feeling that way, sounds amazing and it's a great keybed too, really just nice to play, also the modular, which is the opposite of an escape from knobbage but when you want or need a sound that's totally bonkers, it's just what you want. 4 audio oscs patched as duophonic into 3 parallel bandpass filters modded by two sequencers - no problem. :thu:

The Spendor monitors are an ex-BBC pair and still have the BBC badges on the back, which is very cool, I got them as a bit of a cosmetic fixer upper and am still working on them, originally they would probably have been used with AM8/12 amps, which were a custom mod to BBC specifications of the domestic Quad setup of that era that I actually use with them. The 3 pedals on the floor under the main keyboard rig are the piano sustain, filter cutoff for the Jupiter and hold/sustain for the same, held in place by my patent anti-pedal creep device (a bit of wood with string through it :lol: ). Mostly the Jupiter gets played from the SP200 unless I'm using that to control the modular at the same time. I keep debating moving the SP200 to another room and getting a pedalboard for modular control, which would let me condense everything down to being all in front of me at the same time.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Hopefully that is something like.

Btw that pot has moisturiser in it, before the lube gags start. :lol:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:19 pm

is there a difference? :lol:

ok i'll post. later. I just got back online after my work PC had a virus all day today.
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Oh sorry to bother you ma'am. there is one more thing. are you the manager of the keys department?

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 pm

ok you'll be the first post of the day tomorrow.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Nice setup, PC! How's that DR-880 going? How do you like it?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 pm

I need to spend a bit more quality time with it, but that is a lot of things.

Really working on my playing a lot atm, which is where it starts to get a lot more useful again.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:44 pm

anyone want to bite for ms. august?
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Mine's a mess right now. No tidiness in sight for a few months, at least. The basement's painted at last, though. Next: suspended ceiling. That'll be a new one for me...
Plink Floyd

Postby Tarekith » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:53 pm

You name: Tarekith

Tell us what type or style of music you mainly produce: All styles of electronic, but mainly downtempo stuff. Examples here: http://tarekith.com/tracks/

List your gear both hardware and software:

i7 MacBook Pro, RME Fireface 400, Event Opals, Elektron Anniversary Machinedrum, Allen & Heath Xone62, Akai APC40, Kenton Killamix Mini, Akai MPK25, Parker Dragonfly, Line6 HD500.

Ableton Live, Apple Logic, Audiofile Wave Editor, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Synplant, + various plug ins.

Briefly describe your workflow:

Typically I write songs either entirely in Live or in Logic, just depends on which one I feel like looking at on a given day. A lot of times I'll start out with drums on the Machinedrum or in Stylus, and once those get recorded into the DAW, it's just a long process of jamming and recording the results to edit down and arrange later on. I work almost entirely with audio, even my softsynths get routed directly to an audio track and recorded that way right away.

Take your favorite 1 or 2 pieces of gear and tell us why it's your favorite:

Hands down my favorite is the Machinedrum, it not only sounds great and is extremely flexible, but it's made with live performance in mind. I've been playing live electronic music for almost 20 years now, so that's extremely important to me. Nothing comes close for long free form jams to me, and it's great for things that aren't drums too.

Briefly tell us any neat things about you or your studio that you want to:

While the studio primarily started out for my own music writing, for the last ten years I've been mastering and mixing all forms of electronic music for other artists. 2 years ago things got so busy, that I could turn it into my day job even. More info on that at http://innerportalstudio.com

As such, I don't like have a lot of gear in front of me that I'm not using for mastering, so most of that is on a table off to my side. All the USB and powercords for those items are all preconnected and hanging on hooks behind my main table, so it only takes me a few seconds to grab any piece and start using it.
Tarekith

PreviousNext

Return to KSS