The Studio Show Off & Build Thread

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I made some wicked beats last night and I created an instrument rack in live.. a bandpass filter and ping pong delay. I created a macro knob that turned the cutoff and delay send at the same time.. MADNESS. UTTER MADNESS ahahahahahah... add in some retriggering from Live and damn that shit was dope.


:cop: You have posted no proof. :cop:
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7102
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:38 pm

THERE WILL BE PUDDING. :mad:

I mean proof. that will be in the pudding.

waaaaaaa? :idk:

wait you're on my forum accusing me?

Image
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8458
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby christianrock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:45 pm

HEY NOW!

Didn't you hear Gribs say that Monty Python jokes haven't been funny for 20 years now? :eyes: :lol:
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Image

A WTICH!!! BURN HIM!!!!

venom's not even in my radar right now... it's a rompler... :poke:



the sh201 would be the only thing I'd buy synth wise right now..

What do you have that can do what Kronos does? (one integrated piece, please) :cop:


a :cop: but see i'm running my own open architecture modular based synthesizer and sequencing environment
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8458
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby christianrock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 pm

MetroSonus wrote:the sh201 would be the only thing I'd buy synth wise right now...


I don't get it, I still don't know why you sold the Virus C other than the need for money. I would think it's better than the SH-201 (tho I do love the supersaw...)

but see i'm running my own open architecture modular based synthesizer and sequencing environment


You should write an article about that (with sound examples :cop: )
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:09 pm

:cop: This thread seems :cop: to be filled :cop: with cops :cop: lately. :cop:

:cop:



:cop:

And this pokey guy :poke:
User avatar
Plink Floyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:31 pm

christianrock wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:the sh201 would be the only thing I'd buy synth wise right now...


I don't get it, I still don't know why you sold the Virus C other than the need for money. I would think it's better than the SH-201 (tho I do love the supersaw...)


Well, here's the thing, since I can't lie to you guys cause you're so adorable.. The C is a bit of a weirdo in the Virus line. Don't believe what you hear, the C can't be replicated by updating the B OS and the TI line sounds like the C never happened. The C has a phenomenal effects section and has the smoothest bass and filter you've probably ever heard, but that's it. The effects make all the rest of it all shiny like, but take it away an eh.. the rest of the C is all thin and whispy. I kid you not, you could get exactly the same sounds out of a Korg EA-1 and a good reverb and everyone would believe you if you told them it was the C. That's mainly why it's so popular in dance circles, just for the bass. I liked it only for the bassy drones it would do, but that's it. I did sell if for money, but also cause I only need the Rack Xl. That's actually what I wanted first, but the person selling one rejected my offer and I ended up getting the desktop for less than the rack, true story. I find the rest of the line over rated. :idk: Granted yes it's a huge modular VA.. but overall.

The sh201 does way better supersaws than the virus and that'd be the only reason I'd want one.. It's a cool synth though. I've always enjoyed playing it. For now though, i'm going to focus on being productive rather than tracking down synths.



christianrock wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:but see i'm running my own open architecture modular based synthesizer and sequencing environment


You should write an article about that (with sound examples :cop: )


I've considered it, but in being that it's not closed, or something someone can go out and buy and have the same thing, I don't know what the point would be. I can cover a part of it as a sort of Live setup, but I'd rather just review things piece by piece and focus on them individually. Unless you can think of a way for me to do it that would have broad appeal.

:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:
:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:
:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8458
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:43 pm

MetroSonus wrote:wait you're on my forum accusing me?


Correct. :cop: Make with the tracks, or there will be no joy in Mudville.
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7102
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:08 am

christianrock wrote:Monty Python jokes haven't been funny for 20 years now :eyes: :lol:




Yes they have...

Image
User avatar
ClavAnother
 
Posts: 4848
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:45 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Well, here's the thing, since I can't lie to you guys cause you're so adorable.. The C is a bit of a weirdo in the Virus line. Don't believe what you hear, the C can't be replicated by updating the B OS and the TI line sounds like the C never happened. The C has a phenomenal effects section and has the smoothest bass and filter you've probably ever heard, but that's it. The effects make all the rest of it all shiny like, but take it away an eh.. the rest of the C is all thin and whispy. I kid you not, you could get exactly the same sounds out of a Korg EA-1 and a good reverb and everyone would believe you if you told them it was the C. That's mainly why it's so popular in dance circles, just for the bass. I liked it only for the bassy drones it would do, but that's it. I did sell if for money, but also cause I only need the Rack Xl. That's actually what I wanted first, but the person selling one rejected my offer and I ended up getting the desktop for less than the rack, true story. I find the rest of the line over rated. :idk: Granted yes it's a huge modular VA.. but overall.

The sh201 does way better supersaws than the virus and that'd be the only reason I'd want one.. It's a cool synth though. I've always enjoyed playing it. For now though, i'm going to focus on being productive rather than tracking down synths.


I'm still kinda surprised you said this. I always thought you were a Virus fanboy, "infekted" and all that :lol:

The only Virus I ever played was a TI at Sam Ash over a year ago. I thought the oscillators were thin but the filter was good, and the synth sounds got better with the use of effects (I guess that's the Roland formula?). But it didn't impress me. I remember thinking "is this what everybody's crazy about? meh.".

If you ever get the SH-201, you MUST use the first effects processor for chorus and the 2nd for reverbs. Then if you need delays use your DAW. The chorus really brings a lot of the sounds to a whole new level and it's very pleasing and analog-sounding (or so I think...), even though it's not a "wild" type chorus - it's actually pretty tame.

(as seen here: http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/manuals/roland_sh-201_cheat_sheet.pdf)
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:14 pm

I have a particular fondness for ambient music and the C just has these deep, evolving drones you can do with it. In that regard, yes I'm a fan boy as I've never been able to replicate the experience on anything else. Otherwise the virus is like anything else, someone uses it for something and it gets a reputation and the rest is academic. Not to mention the price tag has lent allot to the prestige of it.

Another reason I went with software was that I honestly feel that 80% of sounds can be written on 95% of available synths hard and soft. So in that regard I'd rather just find a few that do what I want and forget the whole rat race of whose making what.
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8458
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 pm

I knew it! You'll be getting a Virus again in no time :lol:

I still think that the best ambient music I've ever heard was Brian Eno and his DX-7... of all things!
User avatar
christianrock
has a runny bottom
 
Posts: 12163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:05 pm

I"ll get a rack Xl sooner or later :thu: no lie about that.

Yes, eno. :lol: I prefer the space / planetarium music side of ambient myself. Steve Roach, Palancar etc.
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8458
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby Jyoti » Wed May 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Image

Note the boxes of unsold CDs under the desk. :cry:

More synthporn here.
User avatar
Jyoti
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 11, 2011 1:25 pm

wow.. you now have the honor of having the most professional looking, as well as photographed studio here :eek:

Hey, you gotta give us the low down on DSLR. We have few interestead, myself included :grin:
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8458
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby Jyoti » Wed May 11, 2011 1:50 pm

MetroSonus wrote:wow.. you now have the honor of having the most professional looking, as well as photographed studio here :eek:


I do love my studio - I designed it myself and got contractors in to do the actual work. It's pretty soundproof and acoustically not terrible.

It's my Batcave! :grin:

But I do miss my old studio I had in Norwich:

Image :cry:


I love taking pics of my gear. It's something of an obsession! Ooh, ohh and ahh...

Hey, you gotta give us the low down on DSLR. We have few interestead, myself included :grin:


No worries, what do you want to know? Start another thread and gimme a :poke: on there! :)
User avatar
Jyoti
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby MetroSonus » Wed May 11, 2011 2:00 pm

It's my Batcave! :grin:


:facepalm: you should mention ye old batcave. :lol: From 89 - 98 or so I was really big into doing costumes and going to conventions and such. Anyway, years out from it, I mentioned on facebook i thought i'd make a good The Dark Knight batman after looking at scores of batcar builds people have done and a buddy of mine who is in this group that does charity work said "hey why don't you do one and join us?" knowing I love kids / working with people. :facepalm: another hobby! ugh .. lol the last two days i've been researching on how to build the suit.. It's doable, but I think i'd prefer some moral support rather than doing it alone this time. what to do..

speaking of hobbies, I guess i'll start that DSLR thread.. just give us the grand tour.. how it differs from say cameras in our phones or a better quality point and shoot..
User avatar
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.
 
Posts: 8458
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby Jyoti » Wed May 11, 2011 2:30 pm

MetroSonus wrote:: another hobby! ugh .. lol the last two days i've been researching on how to build the suit..
YOU CAN DOOO EEEEET! :thu:
User avatar
Jyoti
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed May 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Niiiiiiiiice studios. So neat and tidy. :thu:
User avatar
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man
 
Posts: 7102
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Studio Show Off

Postby Jyoti » Wed May 11, 2011 3:48 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Niiiiiiiiice studios. So neat and tidy. :thu:


There may have, er, been a leetle bit of pre-shoot tidying... :tounge:
User avatar
Jyoti
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 pm

PreviousNext

Return to KSS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron