Microphones: Is this thing on?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Microphones: Is this thing on?

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't know in which sub-forum this should go. I'll let ModeroSonus sort it.

Anyone care to discuss/list mics? We probably all have at least one. Even if you don't sing, you need to vocode your naughty robot lyrics. :grin:

I'm no expert, so I'll just list a few I've used.

The first 'good' mic I bought was a headworn Shure SM-10. I moved around too much, though, and the conductors in the cord were always breaking. I finally eschewed it for a couple venerable SM58s.

I bought them used in the early 80s, used and abused them for fifteen years, dropped them, swung them around my head by the cords, regularly bathed them in beer fumes, and sold them for around what I paid for them.

A few years ago, I got a $30 Behringer XM8500. (LOL at the name. Geez, can't they even try to disguise the fact that they reverse engineer stuff? What's next, the Juniper-8?) Like lots of their stuff, it's good enough, especially for the price. It has more bottom than the 58, but that's what EQ is for. I rigorously A/B tested the Beh and the 58 by side by side recording a bit of acoustic piano, and the highly scientific Jingling Keys Test, and I could EQ them to sound exactly the same (to my ears). Maybe it won't handle as much SPL, idunno. It's probably not as robust, but for the price, hey, it's a Timex.

I also mounted an EV 649b dynamic mic on my tenor sax. I still have it somewhere. It looks like this:

TopCat and I have Oktava 319s. I may (or maybe he will) blather more about them if anyone so desires.
I have the shockmounts for mine, neener neener, TC :grin:
Plink Floyd

Re: Microphones: Is this thing on?

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:45 pm

whoops.. keyboards synths, microphone, no I don't find it, but who woulda thunk eh? I updated the forum title.

the only mics i have are shures :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:09 pm

MetroSonus wrote:whoops.. keyboards synths, microphone, no I don't find it, but who woulda thunk eh? I updated the forum title.

the only mics i have are shures :lol:
Sorry for the extra werk. But it's a valid topic, no?

And you can't just say "I haz Shures lol", we expect details.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Just got a used Carvin CM90E small diaphragm condenser mic. I didn't have an small dia one before. I don't really need it, but I can't resist a bargain. Besides, I'm thinking, with a little modification, I can use it as an RTA reference mic. It's unidirectional, but maybe it can be made to work.

Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:29 am

Being primarily a non-singing keyboard pounder, I don't have much use for mics. When I was gigging and pressed to do backup vocals, though, I had an AKG C410.
Actually, I still have it, but it's borked, I don't know what's wrong with it. But, it worked as advertised when I used it, no complaints. I bought it solely on the merit of, "hey guys, what mic should I buy?" and this was the answer. :)

During my brief engineer-for-hire phase, the studio I worked in had about a half-dozen different kinds of mics, with multiples of some kinds (like SM57s, for instance.) I only recall that some mics had specific jobs, mostly in regards to drums: This one for the kick, this one for the snare, these two for the overheads, etc. I have no idea what they were, now.

Now, my only working mic is a Sterling Audio ST51 condenser.
I had plans to do SOMETHING with it, but now I don't remember what. It does the job, I guess, but I'm just not a connoisseur of mics enough to know good from bad.

This is the sum total of my "useful" contribution to the Mic Thread. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:40 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:I had an AKG C410. Actually, I still have it, but it's borked
I'll bet the cable got wiggled to death. That happened to my headworn mic several times. I finally got sick of rewiring it and sold it to a drummer. Using a couple of boom mics took some getting used to, not being able to look exactly where I wanted while singing, but it probably made me a better player. I'm sure I looked at the audience more. For vocals, the SM58s just never quit.

That Sterling Audio would probably be just the thing to record acoustic pianner. Better with two, though.

EngineerPuppy wrote:During my brief engineer-for-hire phase,
That sounds interesting. Care to regale us?
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm just gonna throw in here and say did anyone notice those look like silencers for guns?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 am

MetroSonus wrote:I'm just gonna throw in here and say did anyone notice those look like silencers for guns?
Huh. It didn't occur to me, but, yeah.

But I'm almost afraid to bring up this great old show, for fear that Hollywood will crap out some suktastic remake of it.

Wait WUT? OH NOOOOES!!!

Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:00 am

Scoar!

A friend called me from a junk sale & asked if I wanted to buy a box of "cables, wires, connectors and some junky old microphones" for a couple bucks. From his description, I thought there'd be, at the least, (but probably the most) a dozen XLR connectors I could re-use. I can always use those.

He said there was one "big honkin heavy mic that you could probably use for a hammer", but he couldn't find the name plate.

I found it, under some tape.

:grin:

I can sing like Wayne nao?

Oh maaan, maybe mine was used by Teh King!

Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:56 am

Score, indeed! Nice! How do you think you'll use it?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:08 am

According to Those Who Post About Such Things, it works well for vox, as a guitar cab mic, or for taming a boomy kick drum (it rolls off @ 40 or so). So, I guess wherever you'd use a 58...

But mostly, I'll let my kid use it to look kool on stage. At first, he scoffed: "Dude, I'm not using some corny old Elvis mic!" So I showed him this:

He's OK with it now. (Bonus: it's extremely robust, and he has that typical teen negligence syndrome...)

Bummer, though, the mounting threads are stripped out. I think it's made of zinc, can you tap new threads in that?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 pm

No idea. :idk: I've never tried to work zinc before.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:12 am

Accordion to the innernets, zinc is easy to machine. But I can't find a 5/8"-27 threaded insert. I might be able to use something like this 5/8" to 3/8" adapter

if I saw the 3/8" stud off the end, but what would be a good way to anchor it? Epoxy might work, or there might be enough room for a bolt up the middle into the mic base plus epoxy...

___

Anyway, looking for info about that, I found this interesting place:

...If you like old oddities...
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:44 am

Maybe some JB Weld? (I can't vouch, I've never used the stuff.)
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:07 am

I once tried one of their products on an outside gas tank. It It slowed the leak, but it didn't stop it. But it wasn't one of their two part formulas, those might be better.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:57 pm

O Hai, haz u ifolks seen this doohikney?

CD quality for $24 @ BHPhoto. For some reason it's $80 @ MF & Sweetwater.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:05 pm

BAH HUMBUG to you iphone people.

I'm quite fond of microphones. Lately I'm exited, as you probably have seen on my separate thread about microphones and preamps, about the chinese Class A design tube microphones. Mine are a pair of CTM100s from Carvin, but it's the exact same mic as the Apex 460.

I also love my MD-441 and my ATM25.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:21 am

christianrock wrote:BAH HUMBUG to you iphone people.
Yeah me too. But there are those among us, you know...

Speaking of tablets just to off topic the thread, I got an ASUS Memo Pad HD 7 for mah daughter. I was almost sold on the NEXUS 7, but NO EXTERNAL SD SLOT??!! Oh, but I guess that's ok... They just want to keep all my media nice and safe and accessible for me in the Big Comfy Cloud, where I can find it aaaaaany time I want. Aaaah.

Big Hairy Dealbreaker, man.

Not to mention all the trouble they had with the model 6...

Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:58 pm

:badump:

:D :D :D
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Veracohr » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 pm

I've got a smattering of mics but I haven't used most of them in a while. A pair of Audio Technica AT3031's are the best I have; I've used them on drum overheads and acoustic guitar as well as nature and sample recording. I like them. A Sennheiser E609 that's good for electric guitar and E602 for kick drum and bass guitar. The E602 has an already mid-scooped frequency response, so it's not for everything. I've got some cheaper somethings I got for toms, can't remember what they are at the moment, and a crappy MXL small/large diaphragm pair that work fine but are too brittle sounding.
Veracohr

Next

Return to KSS