Trigger pad drumming.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Trigger pad drumming.

Postby christianrock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:57 pm

ahahahahaha
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 am

i was looking at dsp trigger (there's also a free version)
http://www.audiofront.net/dspTrigger.php

this guy has piezos hooked up to drums, not 100% sure how it works but it seems pretty straight forwards

also, if this has not been seen perhaps it should be

gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu May 09, 2013 5:08 am

Those are inndersting. The first two use software that monitors ordinary PC audio inputs. Pretty good idea for a one or two pad setup: ebongos! The iPad one does the same thing with the built in mic. The guy in the video is using an eight input audio interface to plug his piezos into.

Pretty cool, but I want MOAR inputs. The one I'm trying to make has 48. That may seem excessive, but I believe that some pad duplication is necessary in order to play realistic sounding stuff like rolls & flams.

this guy has piezos hooked up to drums, not 100% sure how it works but it seems pretty straight forwards
Applepologies if you already know this, but here's how piezo transducers work:

If you press it, bend it or strike it, it generates voltage. They work backwards, too: when voltage is applied across them, they physically bend. That's why they're used in buzzers and beepers like the ones in smoke detectors.

In reality, they're usually thinner than a coin and come in sizes ranging from maybe 5 to 50 mm in dia.

Because they make a nice voltage spike when struck, they're perfect for edrum triggers.
Way faster and more responsive than the Force Sensitive Resistor approach used in MPC type boxes.

They also make pretty good (and cheap) audio pickups. People use them in homemade cigar box guitars and acoustic basses. I made a weedwhacker stand-up bass; it sounded pretty good.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 09, 2013 9:52 pm

How's the project coming, Plinker?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 10, 2013 10:44 am

It seems to have taken the back seat to other unfun stuff. :cry:

But thanks for asking, Sir Grump of Tardsbury!

:wave:
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Fri May 10, 2013 8:07 pm

well in theory u could get an m-audio profire lightbridge interface for 32 adat inputs and add another 8 analog inputs and 8 adat inputs from any 8 channel interface. then get 2 alesis hd24 converters and have 48 inputs.

then with piezos and something like dsp trigger you would eliminate the major programming hurdles involved and get supreme drum pad awesomeness. it would be scalable and expand according to your needs

I was just trying to think 'out of the box' and find a way to do it without having all the pain associated with programming midi stuffs. if you could copy & paste someone else's code tho and it would work that might be easier :thumbsup;
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue May 14, 2013 10:45 am

That would no doubt work. But the thing I'm trying should come in way under $100 & all the electronics would be the size of a pack of cigs. As to copying someone else's code, that is exactly what I was shamefully* trying to do, it just doesn't seem to work.

* not really, he's giving it away.
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:10 am

gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks for the links. If I can't get mine working, I'll look into that.

If I ever get some spare time someday, I'll contact the guy who wrote the code for the one I'm messing with...
Plink Floyd

Previous

Return to KSS