Trigger pad drumming.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Akai LPD8

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:29 pm

just a random update...

the launch pad actually will map every button in user mode 1 to Live's drum rack. compared to the LPD8, it's about the same.. more or less. the pads are obviously bigger and I enjoy using them a bit more along with the flashing light feedback. You'll need Max for Live to do anything like in the video below. Sort of a bummer. but the pad works fine and it maps more samples than you could ever play at once.

MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Trigger pad drumming.

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

i'm actually getting used to tapping out drums. I like it allot and i enjoyed it quite a bit on the electribes. the electribes offered dead simple quanitzing along with the visual feedback so i found them easier to use that way. however i'm learning how to get adjusted to live and everything and I really like it allot.

im' going to merge this topic with my lpd8 topic.
MetroSonus

Re: Akai LPD8

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:47 am

MetroSonus wrote:
That's a cool demo. I don't know Max for Live, or how much of that chune was set up beforehand, but that pad box is obviously the schnitz for beatful groove stuff. As discussed before, the only reason I don't get one is: no velo sense.

MetroSonus wrote:i'm actually getting used to tapping out drums.
I think it's lotsa fun, but doing anything fancy on a keyboard is just too clumsy. But even doing that tells me that the minimum number of pads I want is 16. If I don't find a good deal on an MPD or a PadKontrol before "someday", I'm just gonna try making a diy Zendrum type controller thingy with piezos.

Only with more buttons. :grin:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:36 pm

the LPD8 is velocity sensitive.. I can confirm as i'm playing it right now.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:01 am

Yeah, I think we agreed that they were force sensing resistors like the MPCs use. They might even have aftertouch capability. If they do, it occurs to me that you could set up three of the pads to act like the Proportional Pitch Control buttons on the later Arp Odysseys. That'd be Super Cool!

I never got to try one of those, but I always thought that would be an excellent PB/mod controller, with the middle button for mod and the two outside buttons for PB up & down. It had to be better than that wretched knob & slider, which I hated. The PB knob wasn't even spring loaded return to zero. Ugh.

Oooo! You could even set up two sets, one on top of the other, & have the lower PB set to bend just one full tone up or down, but the upper set to bend ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE RANGE OF HUMAN HEARING WWWWWOOOOOOAAAAAEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii:::::::::::::::::::::::...................::::::::::::::iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW!!!!!
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 am

Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:33 am

I took Plink Jr to GC today to pick up a geetar he had in layaway (a nice LP copy, I was pleased he didn't get some hatchet from hell monstrosity). They just happened to have a very lightly used MPD24, which I purchased. Yay!

But I don't have it yet. Stupid one week police waiting period... :mad:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:35 pm

you have a jr? :eek: how old?

I've just spent most of yesterday afternoon painting a nerf sniper rifle for my 8 year old and then changed the thermocouple on my water heater. If you had asked me if I thought this is what married life would be like, i would have said, no i thought i'd be driving around in a van solving mysteries.. :lol:

that's pretty cool though. you get a good deal on it?
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:59 am

MetroSonus wrote:you have a jr? :eek: how old?

I've just spent most of yesterday afternoon painting a nerf sniper rifle for my 8 year old and then changed the thermocouple on my water heater. If you had asked me if I thought this is what married life would be like, i would have said, no i thought i'd be driving around in a van solving mysteries.. :lol:

that's pretty cool though. you get a good deal on it?

:grin: 14 & 16, one each. Oh, the drama.

Until my late 20s, I was sure I'd never get married. Then, until my mid 30s I thought I'd never have kids. Apparently my precognicator is busted. And I have investigated minivan mysteries: "WTF is growing in this McDonalds bag, and how long has it been stuffed under the back seat?"

I gave $70 for the MPD. It's got a few sctatches on the back & bottom, but other than that, very good nick. Some of the used ones I've seen look like they were stored in a McDonalds bag under the seat of a minivan.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Let me know how you like the MPD. It's one of the things I think I might need eventually, for programming drums within a hardware synth sequencer (either the Fusion or the Kronos, in the future).
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:30 am

Willdu. I'm really looking forward to playing with it, since it's something completely different for me. I won't even have it, though, till the weekend, since GC holds used stuff for a week just in case someone reports it stolen.

I don't know how much my opinion will be worth, though, since I've not had any others for comparison. If I'm not mistaken everyone here's in that boat, except MS.

And, why didn't Korg put pads on the Kronos? It's not as if they didn't know about them.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:42 pm

What the MPC boat? :lol:

i dunno .. you know whenever I'm tempted to get a new something or other I end up saying to my self, I can just do that in Live.. So I've usually try to resist the urge to buy new stuff and just make better use of the stuff I have.

I was thinking the other day it'd be great if Korg released the ER1 as a VST like they did with the legacy. an electribe legacy collection, that would be awesome.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:16 am

MetroSonus wrote:I was thinking the other day it'd be great if Korg released the ER1 as a VST like they did with the legacy. an electribe legacy collection, that would be awesome.
What, just for the UI?
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:28 pm

there's nothing about it that can't be done on the front end of the physical ER1.

I figured since it was already on the ipad and they've released the legacy collection, it'd be cool to have them in a VST. I dont see why not, they're all out of production now and their Nintendo DS applications and everything have done really well.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:15 am

So I've spent a little time with the MPD24. It's not for me.

I want something primarily for finger drumming, and this isn't it. Sixteen 'notes' is too limiting, and the 4 X 4 matrix very simply fails at playability. I suspected the square pad layout would be clumsy; I'm now convinced. Heck, on a regular keyboard I can play a drum track complete with flams and rolls and two dozen toms, if I want them. The matrix layout is a non-musician engineer's cobbulation (like Minimoog wheels). If the arrangment was a 2 X 8 horizontal layout, it might be a little more playable...

...But the pads aren't nearly sensitive enough. They are velolicity sensitive with poly aftertouch, but even with the sensitivity at max, the force with which you have to pound them is unacceptable. No rapid patterns could ever be possible (for me, anyway). EP said his MPC pads felt solid. These aren't; they have to be depressed maybe 1/16" before you feel a slight tactile 'bump'. And you have to hit them close to the center or it's a muff shot.

Posters at other sites have mentioned that the pads of both the MPC and PadKontrol are more sensitive. Still others recommend 'upgrades' to increase sens. It's meh to me, since it's still the same layout.

I addition, this one may have a defect, to which I'm not devoting any diagnostic energies. It seems to intermittantly send some command that bolluxes my drum VSTs running in SONAR. I know, "could be SONAR's fault", but I don't think so. My cheap Radium 61 never does it. Maybe one of the controls is set to some CC message and it's being mechanically jostled. No matter. It would go back to GC despite the glitch.

In fairness, I wanted this box to do something it really isn't designed for. If I'd paid closer attention to all the utoobs that show people 'finger drumming' with them, I'd have noticed those people frequently resorting to the necessity of using two fingers to wallop the pads. It's well constructed, and the pads and controls do what they do reliably, but it's not what I need.

It's a box for playing samles and triggering loops. It is not an instrument, and I renounce it.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:31 pm

So, all of you software users, what is the best way to input drums to your DAW? Plink, what are you going to go for? Just your regular keybed?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:58 pm

I just use a regular keyboard. :idk:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:38 pm

And that might be how I'm going to roll...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 pm

The best drum input thing I have right now is this:

Being Yamaha, it's good quality, not just a toy (the bottom one; the top one is a toy). If it had moar pads and better pedals (they sux) I could get by with it quite nicely. Two of them side by side would be all you'd ever need. But they're too big to be handy for DAWing. And if you don't have at least rudimentary drum kit skill it might not be of much service.

The PadKontrol is supposed to have better (more sensitive) pads, but it still has the 4 X 4 matrix, which I don't like. The Tempest layout is better (2 X 8), but expensive.

So I'm just guessing, but for a keyboardist, I think the Zendrum is the best option currently available. Unfortunately, it's hella expensive too. And it needs moar buttons. I'd like to DIY an improved model, but...

So, unless I buy better pedals for my Yam, a synth weighted keyboard works best for me.

And, it's occurred to me that the keyboard drumming situation could almost certainly be improved with some re-mapping. Thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:19 am

Should I get another?

Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to KSS