Trigger pad drumming.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Trigger pad drumming.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat May 15, 2010 12:33 am

I wish to solicit opinions concerning finger drumming boxes. Nothing extra, just reliable tappity tap to MIDI. Any of ya even do this? Tap your own drum tracks, I mean?

Here's a sampling of what's out there:

Akai MPD 18, Akai LPD8, Korg PadKontrol, Korg NanoPad, M-Audio Trigger Finger...

Any good ones I've missed? Do any have foot pedal inputs for kick & hihat?

Thank you in advance for freely sharing your sagasity. It is highly appreciated.
Plink Floyd

Re: Trigger pad drumming.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat May 15, 2010 2:24 am

I really like my MPC for this. The pads are just plain fun to tap on, and yes, I do tap out my own patterns.

So I guess I'd recommend the Akai pads. They seem to have it down really well.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat May 15, 2010 3:01 am

Excellent. This is what I expected to hear.

I wonder if Akai is using the same pads in this:
I think I'd like the small footprint, but, functionality is most important to me.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:38 am

I'm still looking for a finger drum gizmo.

Hey Metro... do you/did you have one of these?

I've seen used ones for sale for about the same price used MPDs are fetching. The burning question is: Are the pads velocity sensitive? Are they piezo or FSR? The only info I can find says they send note on/note off. If they are vel sens, and if they're freely midi note assignable, which I believe they are, I think I'd pick one up. How cool would it be to map it to something like this?

Also, do they have any jax for footpedals?
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:25 am

Basic trigger pad functionality is all I want. I've seen Launchpads used for around $100, about the same or a little more than MPD 18s. Seems to me that, if they have the right 'feel', it's a great deal, when you consider you get 64 pads instead of 16.

And, I really have in the back of my mind a twisted scheme to parallel ll the pad outputs and use it as a trigger-to-midi convertor for a full size electronic drum kit. 64 inputs would be much better than 16: I like lotsa toms...
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:30 am

ahh ok .. i just tried it out. they aren't velocity sensitive. they most likely aren't piezos, just digital buttons under the pads.

to tell you the truth, they aren't very response.. I think they were flat out designed for on/off switches to use with Live and triggering, for which they work fine. being able to drum with it is more of a convenience than anything. it feels pretty stiff.

it works out of the box with live, so i haven't read the documentation. but if you're wanting it to use it with software other than Live, i'd check into it.

the akai pads would probably do you well. i had the lpk25 and it was high quality.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:27 am

:cry: I was afraid of that. According to something I read earlier, every button outputs a midi note on/off code, so it can probably be used to trigger anything. But if it doesn't velo sense, it wouldn't be great for finger drumming, as you said. Well, next $60 or $80 MPD I find, ima get it.

Thanks a bunch for taking time out of your Viral pursuits! :wave:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:08 am

Zendrum. The drummer's answer to the keytar in the shape of a lumpfish.
Blah blah ends @ 2:00.

What I like about this vid is the fact that the guy's actually playing the drum part.
I'd like to have a tabletop version, but with MOAR buttons. And pedal inputs. With
http://www.megadrum.info/ and 32 50¢ piezo buttons, I think a pretty cool
finger drum box could be made.
Plink Floyd

Finer Pad Drumming

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Just thought i'd add this to my impression of the 61ES. The LPD8 meets and exceed all expectations except that the knobs are much much shorter than I thought :( However they do pull off and I will be looking for taller replacements soon.

In their current form, you have to use sort of a "tweezers" grip to turn them. Not fun.
MetroSonus

Re: Akai LPD8

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 am

So the pads are identical to the ones on the MPC/MPDs?
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:38 pm

well they're smaller obviously.. But i've never used an MPC. They're much better than the launch pad if that's an comparison. the launch pad is pretty stiff and if it weren't for the feed back from the lights, you wouldn't even know you've done anything. the lpd8 has a nice balance of give and resistance that provides some tactile feedback and allows you to sense the velocity pretty well.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:15 pm

MetroSonus wrote:well they're smaller obviously.
Hm. I didn't know they were smaller, I've never compared them side by side. I remember reading somewhere that Akai said they were the same, so maybe they meant the same type of construction. I still kick myself for passing up all of the used $50 MPDs I used to see... :cry:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:24 pm

they may be the same size. I guess I dont know beause i've never seen an MPC.id say they were at least 1/8th to 1/4 smaller just going from pics ive seen
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:01 pm

My MPC's pads are about 1.25 x 1 inch in size, guessing. I could meassure them later for uber accuracy if anyone cares. As to how they feel...

Take one of those rectangular white vinyl erasers and set it flat on your desk. Now tap on it. That's what it feels like. There's no motion of the pad.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:49 pm

well maybe my fingers are extra sensitive.. or maybe they're just different pads :freak:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:54 pm

I gotta believe that Akai uses similar pad tech for that. :idk:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:30 pm

http://www.akaipro.com/lpd8# sez: "LED backlight responds to midi note on." MPC/MPDs aren't backlit, right? But the LPD pads are clearly velo sensitive.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 am

Plink Floyd wrote:http://www.akaipro.com/lpd8# sez: "LED backlight responds to midi note on." MPC/MPDs aren't backlit, right? But the LPD pads are clearly velo sensitive.

As far as I know, none of the MPCs have backlit pads. When I took mine apart, I saw how the pads work (clever and dirt-simple, really); I can't imagine how they could be backlit and still work/feel like they do now.

This makes me think the LPD's pads use a different triggering method.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:21 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:As far as I know, none of the MPCs have backlit pads. When I took mine apart, I saw how the pads work
IIRC, you documented that proccess with good pics. Can't find it, though. The MPC pads are FSRs, no? And, the backlight on the LPD appears to only illuminate the edge of the pad, unlike the Novation Launchpad in which the whole pad lights. So, it's possible that the mechanics of both Akais could be similar.

Personally I care not if they blink.

Anyone here tried the Korg pad Kontrol thing?
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:52 am

no.. however i find the buttons on my nanokontrol usable, but wonky at best. they're fine for simply toggles, but quality wise they don't hold up to anything serious and they have a tendency to get stuck. considering how bad the nanokey is I guess you can the pads are suspect at best until tried for yourself. :idk:
MetroSonus

Next

Return to KSS