The gear demo thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The gear demo thread.

Postby gregwar » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:06 am

I grabbed a copy of vintage vault 3 this month and found a demo of music track jp going through some presets.

so far I'm really enjoying it because there is a dk synergy, synclavier, Jupiter/mks80, matrix 12, etc too many to name. I think the next purchase will be uvi falcon so I can get under the hood a bit more.

the samples played in uvi workstation have tons of mojo and vibe and are all from the original hardware apparently

:jam:
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:28 pm

I know.. I saw that and thought how awesome it is!! I like a lot of their stuff and it's on my list of stuff to buy.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:32 pm

gregwar wrote:I grabbed a copy of vintage vault 3 this month and found a demo of music track jp going through some presets.

so far I'm really enjoying it because there is a dk synergy, synclavier, Jupiter/mks80, matrix 12, etc too many to name. I think the next purchase will be uvi falcon so I can get under the hood a bit more.

the samples played in uvi workstation have tons of mojo and vibe and are all from the original hardware apparently

:jam:

I saw that and went, "cool", then saw it costs $600... would that be better than a JD-XI which has an actual analog voice in it?... and physical controls?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:09 am

I got vintage vault when it was on sale and I already have one of the included libraries (digital synsations) so the price was further reduced. :grin:

physical controls and hardware are cool. I have a buddy that is trying to make an all-hardware techno rig (like he read Gearslagz for the first time lol) and he is really enjoying it so far.

I tried a jd-xa and jd-xi at the music store a while back and remember thinking it sounded good but was not worth the price in my humble opinion. they might be a lot cheaper now second hand..?

but keep in mind comparing something like a 500-1000$ va and analog hardware synth to a large sample library is a bit difficult and they are both very different beasts

in other news, I picked up uvi drum designer last night as a form of retail therapy b/c it was on sale and when my exams are done in 1-2 weeks I will get into that and Arturia's v-collection 7 that I also picked up a couple weeks ago

drum designer is cool because you can create your own drum sounds from partials. like the kick is built from tone and body parts, the snare has tone, body and I think two noise parts, etc. these parts can be mixed and matched and automated.

its cool that companies like Behringer are making analog 808s and stuff. but I tried the Roland cloud 808 (which is a pretty good emulation) and remember thinking it will take a lot of work to get the kick drum right, etc. and I would have to sample it anyways to get it in tune with the different bass line notes

maybe I'm spoiled by all the immediate gratification of software but software offers so many additional tools that is really impractical in analog (obviously) like having 5 la2a compressors or minimoog chords (I use monark by ni).

I want to try layering sounds in track stacks in logic with drums, and vintage vault (samples of the real instrument) and Arturia (virtual recreations) to see if I can get cool, evolving sounds of 100k of gear on a budget
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:30 pm

So I got another synth...

ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:31 pm

^Have we got a video??

I just got it into it's proper position (replacing the CS-50):

ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:56 pm

nice one clavwar!
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Mon May 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Has anyone used east west play at all recently?

I have an old ilok 1 dongle with licenses for platinum strings, brass, perc, and woodwinds so I downloaded the installer and got everything working.

I stopped using those (pretty expensive) libraries b/c play was not great and the Kontakt versions were no longer supported.

anyways, with my brief experience with play 6 I was pretty impressed! the effects section is pretty great with an amp simulator, SSL channel strip, ohmicide, and convo reverb.

the browser was pretty snappy (libraries were installed on an ssd) and everything was not super annoying to get setup.

:like:
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 pm

gregwar wrote:Has anyone used east west play at all recently?

I have an old ilok 1 dongle with licenses for platinum strings, brass, perc, and woodwinds so I downloaded the installer and got everything working.

I stopped using those (pretty expensive) libraries b/c play was not great and the Kontakt versions were no longer supported.

anyways, with my brief experience with play 6 I was pretty impressed! the effects section is pretty great with an amp simulator, SSL channel strip, ohmicide, and convo reverb.

the browser was pretty snappy (libraries were installed on an ssd) and everything was not super annoying to get setup.

:like:

I see EW Play 6 is free now... all libraries are free?? Or just some?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Thu May 14, 2020 4:51 am

I'm not sure, I paid $$$ for my licenses back in 2008?

I noticed they have a composer cloud subscription service that was 60% off, that does seem like a lot of stuff to download for a subscription service...

I'm also trying out the new logic 10.5 with Ableton Live-style grid/loops. so far its ok I guess, the new sampler and drum machines are pretty great!

I also want to try out the new step sequencers apparently those have been massively overhauled...

:drink:
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Tue May 26, 2020 5:19 pm

I wasn't thrilled with what I heard on EW.. just a lot of GM style banks.. I mean, if that's for you and what you were asking about, all the more power to ya :)

I'll throw in too that the Korg Triton VST with all the expansions is only 200$. I'm more of a full synth ROMpler guy anyway and I can't see having 200$ in each specific VST. but that's just me.. YMMV :wave:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Previous

Return to KSS